FCL’s Alternative Frugality 2023

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
floridacatlover

Re: FCL’s Alternative Frugality 2023

Post by floridacatlover »

Thanks HappyDaze! Really I’m doing what I’ve done most of my adult life. I’m just writing it down so that others might take something from my alternative frugality (no batch cooking, no gardening, no cutting open toothpaste tubes and other traditional frugal habits) and see that it’s still possible (or “was” possible during most of my working years) to become financially independent on a single income and live a good life.
floridacatlover

I rolled over a CD this morning by moving it to another bank to get a better rate, 4.5% for 13 months. But once home I thought of checking Capital One 360 and it turns out they are paying 5.0% for 11 months. Too late for me but maybe it will help some of you. I do use Capital One 360 savings, now at 3.4%, but I want to keep that money liquid.

As sorry as I was to hear about the Orlando journalist killed, I question the GoFundMe page set up by his sister (linked in the local news story about the journalist). The sister’s poorly written GoFundMe is now trying to raise $80k, up from $60k and earlier $25k. It has already raised more than $64k. The journalist was 24 and unmarried and no mention of children. What will be the cost of his funeral - maybe $10k to $15k max? Why do so many people now turn to GoFundMe for funeral expenses? This journalist was young and probably has little savings but doesn’t he have family who can pay for this? Maybe not. His employer was the largest donor so far, $10k. So where will all this money go? To me it is pure greed. I was raised to have personal responsibility.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Ditto on the personal responsibility! I get the go fund me to help "cover expenses" but any excess beyond that and I question it too. One of my coworkers recently started a gfm for someone she knows who had a house fire and she is trying to tell everyone that the "amount to donate is $100". I'm sorry, you can not tell someone how much to donate - that is a personal decision - and whether to donate at all is a personal decision.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Even though it is only Feb. 27, I’ll give you all a preview of my very good (to me) spending in February. So far I’ve spent $1,405.85. Now that will likely increase by $7-$10 if I get to Home Depot today to buy paint sample cans. (I have $11 and change still on a HD gift card from my returned pruner gift so I’ll use that but still write it down in my budget.)

Health spending (Medicare supplement, Medicare Part B and dental visit) accounts for $590.73 of that total. I do not have dental insurance.

Because of special circumstances (big tax refund, EE bonds proceeds, end of year 2022 dividends and money “left over” on Dec. 31, 2022 from what I like to keep in my checking) I already have enough set aside for my flood, homeowner’s, umbrella and 1st six months of auto insurance and even a good amount for travel.

Thank you for reading my alternative frugal thread. I have always enjoyed reading financial info with real numbers so that is what I’ve tried to do here. I’m ending it here because you all get the gist of how I live my life.

P.S. My spending does not include mom’s house but for February that only amounted to about $146 (electric, water/sewer, lawn guy). For March it will be much higher with the painting. But as I’ve said before, I take that from mom’s money which I continue to keep separate.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Wow, FloridaCat, you run a tight ship! That's admirable control of your spending and saving.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:52 am Even though it is only Feb. 27, I’ll give you all a preview of my very good (to me) spending in February. So far I’ve spent $1,405.85. Now that will likely increase by $7-$10 if I get to Home Depot today to buy paint sample cans. (I have $11 and change still on a HD gift card from my returned pruner gift so I’ll use that but still write it down in my budget.)

Health spending (Medicare supplement, Medicare Part B and dental visit) accounts for $590.73 of that total. I do not have dental insurance.

Because of special circumstances (big tax refund, EE bonds proceeds, end of year 2022 dividends and money “left over” on Dec. 31, 2022 from what I like to keep in my checking) I already have enough set aside for my flood, homeowner’s, umbrella and 1st six months of auto insurance and even a good amount for travel.

Thank you for reading my alternative frugal thread. I have always enjoyed reading financial info with real numbers so that is what I’ve tried to do here. I’m ending it here because you all get the gist of how I live my life.

P.S. My spending does not include mom’s house but for February that only amounted to about $146 (electric, water/sewer, lawn guy). For March it will be much higher with the painting. But as I’ve said before, I take that from mom’s money which I continue to keep separate.
Wow, you're doing great!

I find most "dental insurance" to be a joke - so you may be better off without it. I only have it because I get it "cheap" through work and it does cover semi-annual cleanings/checkups at 100%.

I think the main reason it doesn't help beyond that is that so few dentists around here are willing to be participating providers in the plans offered, thus my $1,700 tooth a couple of years ago - yes, for ONE tooth - and that was with what the insurance paid.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz