2023 Savings Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: 2023 Savings Challenge

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:17 pm It was $44.40 at the vet for Felix today for a "cat total" of $289.31. He is doing good. They said 5 more days on the eye meds and he will be fine.

They did say he has a "weird heart beat" which could be nothing or it could be something and offered blood work. DD called me. I said NO. He is breathing fine and very active. We will give him the best life possible the way he is and see how it plays out. Why they did not detect or mention the "weird heart beat" last time I do not know.
Happy to read that Felix is on the mend and only has 5 days left of his eye medication.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I have a heart murmur and it is not detected on every doctor visit so I expect the same is true with animals.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I haven't been able to put much into savings. I put some in, I end up taking part of it back out. The vet bills have been through the roof - and we have more appointments to make. That is not a complaint - it is to be expected when one has 4-legged family members.

Thursday evening I went grocery shopping. My total was $111.79. After coupons and scanning my store card I paid $79.66. I got $19 back from Ibotta - so I think I did well. The total included two pairs of slippers marked down to $2 each (from $11) and 2 copper martini glasses marked down to $1.49 (from $12.99). The slippers and glasses are being put away for gifts.

I may or may not be able to get a new computer without touching savings - we will see. But I consider the new computer a necessity. It is my entertainment and I use it for many, many surveys and other income generating side hustles.

Our town's properties were all reassessed and I got a letter saying my property value increased by $11,000. I do think the assessment is fair. It has been years and years since we've had assessments. The letter said that an increase in assessed value does not mean an increase it taxes - we shall see.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:59 am I haven't been able to put much into savings. I put some in, I end up taking part of it back out. The vet bills have been through the roof - and we have more appointments to make. That is not a complaint - it is to be expected when one has 4-legged family members.

Thursday evening I went grocery shopping. My total was $111.79. After coupons and scanning my store card I paid $79.66. I got $19 back from Ibotta - so I think I did well. The total included two pairs of slippers marked down to $2 each (from $11) and 2 copper martini glasses marked down to $1.49 (from $12.99). The slippers and glasses are being put away for gifts.

I may or may not be able to get a new computer without touching savings - we will see. But I consider the new computer a necessity. It is my entertainment and I use it for many, many surveys and other income generating side hustles.

Our town's properties were all reassessed and I got a letter saying my property value increased by $11,000. I do think the assessment is fair. It has been years and years since we've had assessments. The letter said that an increase in assessed value does not mean an increase it taxes - we shall see.
I know up here in my area an increased assessment always means an increase in taxes.... Unless they find out that part of your home is 100 years old then they drop.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Finally being able to reset the password on this laptop that was my ex's has saved me a lot of money and a long drive to either have it done for me or purchase a new one. This has surely got a few more years of life left.

This one is a Toshiba. My old HP, that I was using up till a couple days ago - I purchased at Walmart in 2008. I guess I can say it served me well.

It is a relief to not have to spend that money as I am putting some cash back from my trip in May plus the regular savings that I'm trying to build up.

Grocery prices are terrible (Captain Obvious reporting for duty). I can't get out of the store for much under $80 for two bags of stuff. At least they are the big, heavy-duty reusable bags.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

This morning I passed the test to become a "five-star writer" on Textbroker. It is a very hard test that I have taken before and "failed" (you have to score 90% or better to pass).

Now I will be able to receive a higher per-word rate and charge more per word for direct order assignments. Happy happy!! Every little bit counts!

Charles M. Schultz