2023 Savings Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: 2023 Savings Challenge

Post by MackerelCat »

What I spend on our fur kids tends to blow my frugal cred right out of the water. There is nothing cheap about six pets, and especially not with one dog with a poultry allergy and an ancient cat who is extremely particular sbout what he'll eat.

The 4Health brand at Tractor Supply is very good and very nutrient-dense. We started spending less when we began buying there.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Mackie, I know I spend less when I go to Tractor Supply - even if I spend $120, I am getting a lot more for the money -it lasts longer as I am able to buy bigger packages, etc. I need to be more prudent about that and stop getting the pet food at Family Dollar.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Since I am home today I decided to get my tax return done. I used a free program provided by our local United Way rather than my usual FreeTaxUSA (which I like a lot) to save $15.00 (both federal and state get filed free by going through United Way).

About on par with last year - I am getting $899 back from federal and owe New York $83. I actually earned more last year, even though my wage was less, due to the amount of overtime I worked.

I am glad that is done. I will put the whole $899 into savings.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Change of plans as a result of a good think in the middle of the night. I am going to get a new laptop with part of my tax refund. I really need something that is more efficient and has a bigger screen to do my Textbroker work - so I can pay off my car faster!!

This HP I am using at this very moment was purchased at Walmart in 2007!! I'd say it's time for an upgrade.

I do have another laptop that my ex "gifted me" (HIS words - I paid for the dang laptop) when his work gave him a new one. I need to take it to Best Buy or Staples to have the password reset because I can't remember what I set it as. It will serve me well for having movies on in the bedroom or watching YouTube while I am cooking.

Do I NEED two laptops? No - but I WANT one designated for "work" (textbroker writing, surveys, etc.) and another for entertainment - and since I already have the one - okay!!

My phone bill is due in March. I pay for a year at a time on Tracfone. After taxes, etc. it comes out to a bit under $130 for a full year. Since I only use my phone for calling and texting, I don't need anything more expensive. If I were going to take a trip or something and needed to add data for the GPS, I can purchase an add on.

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:42 am Change of plans as a result of a good think in the middle of the night. I am going to get a new laptop with part of my tax refund. I really need something that is more efficient and has a bigger screen to do my Textbroker work - so I can pay off my car faster!!

This HP I am using at this very moment was purchased at Walmart in 2007!! I'd say it's time for an upgrade.

I do have another laptop that my ex "gifted me" (HIS words - I paid for the dang laptop) when his work gave him a new one. I need to take it to Best Buy or Staples to have the password reset because I can't remember what I set it as. It will serve me well for having movies on in the bedroom or watching YouTube while I am cooking.

Do I NEED two laptops? No - but I WANT one designated for "work" (textbroker writing, surveys, etc.) and another for entertainment - and since I already have the one - okay!!

My phone bill is due in March. I pay for a year at a time on Tracfone. After taxes, etc. it comes out to a bit under $130 for a full year. Since I only use my phone for calling and texting, I don't need anything more expensive. If I were going to take a trip or something and needed to add data for the GPS, I can purchase an add on.
Buying a laptop to help you earn money makes me think of an old Amy Dacyczyn Tightwad Gazette scenario when she talked about someone using savings at the end of the year to buy a sewing machine to both earn money and save money.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Florida, I have debated and debated this. I could just use the one that was my ex's but I really want something with a much bigger screen/monitor - and besides, his old one doesn't exactly make me happy to have it around. Maybe I'll have it "wiped" and sell it or give it to someone who could use it...I don't know.

It feels good to have finally made a decision that I am going to buy a new one.

Charles M. Schultz