2023 Savings Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2023 Savings Challenge

Post by HappyDaze »

I caved and bought a few grocery items at Walmart - so much cheaper than what I pay for them here - and I was there anyway.

$86.31 was spent of 4 baby gates so total cost because of cat so far is $244.91, not counting the cost of the gas to go pick him up about 17 miles from home and take him to the vet. He is worth every penny. I probably would not have had to have him treated for fleas and worms - the vet said he didn't look like he had fleas - but I told her I didn't want him bringing any nasty stuff home.

I need to go get my budget/spending book updated - time to face the music, lol.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I will pick up a few items at Wal-mart while getting immunizations there. Having gone through the misery of being there, one might as well. :-D
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

For a couple of days or so I had a "what's the use" attitude - I've been bleeding money, might as well give up. Thankfully, it has passed and I'm going full throttle frugal as usual. Nonetheless, any words of frugal encouragement are welcome. It always seems like when I'm on track and have some money saved, something happens to derail my progress.

Cat has another appointment on Monday. I don't think he will need surgery. His eye is "cloudy" but we can see it - the whole thing!

DD and her SO said if I bought this "cat bag" like what vets use when they have to contain a cat for certain procedures, they will trim the cat's nails. They are also going to put one of our outdoor cats who has very long hair in it and shave some matted fur off her head/neck area behind her ears. DD tries to keep her combed but she has managed to become a mess anyway. The cat is deaf so she won't hear the clippers and DD said that is half the battle right there.

DD used to work for a Veterinarian and has experience with both those procedures, thank goodness. The investment in the bag of $13.95 (paid with gift card from doing surveys) will save me $20 on the nail trim, I'm guessing $20 for the hair cut plus $65 for an "office call" for the outdoor cat. I was happy to purchase it!

Today I have to buy a gift for a coworker who had surgery - we are putting a "sunshine box" together for her. I am going to Walgreens and look for some luxurious lip balms and good chocolate.

I am hoping this will be a "skip week" and I don't need groceries. I have to do an inventory today and see if I can put together meals for next week with what is on hand. I think it is very doable.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Our vets back home were big fans of the cat bag, which they cheerfully referred to as the kitty straitjacket. :-D

I can totally relate to the feeling of hemorrhaging money so I might as well enjoy bleeding to death. It seems like something needs repairing or replacing around here every week. It helps to remind myself that it's more frugal to maintain what we have by repairing it and stuff does wear out.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Your DD is so good with animals. I know that vet nurses do not make a lot of money but she would be so excellent in that role.

I’m happy that Felix cat is doing so well!

The sunshine box for someone after surgery is SUCH a nice idea! If you remember, jot down what they put in it and what type of box. I’d probably cover a shoe box with wrapping paper. My good friend may or may not need surgery for her diverticulitis issue but if she does I’d like to put together a sunshine box for her.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:09 am Your DD is so good with animals. I know that vet nurses do not make a lot of money but she would be so excellent in that role.

I’m happy that Felix cat is doing so well!

The sunshine box for someone after surgery is SUCH a nice idea! If you remember, jot down what they put in it and what type of box. I’d probably cover a shoe box with wrapping paper. My good friend may or may not need surgery for her diverticulitis issue but if she does I’d like to put together a sunshine box for her.
Florida, the Vet DD used to work for encouraged her to go to school to become a Vet Tech (she was "kennel attendant" and often called into exam rooms to help with procedures) but she wasn't interested.

She was a trained chef for many years and also worked in the office of a dentist (not with patients). She is currently going to school for health care science and plans to go on to become an EMT. If she doesn't love that (which - who would???), her degree would allow her to have various jobs in a hospital setting. I would rather work with four legged animals.

I will try to remember about the sunshine box. I know someone is giving a body wash/lotion set and I'm doing the lip balm and chocolates - it will be interesting to see what else goes in it.

Charles M. Schultz