2023 Savings Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
jgomez1002

Re: 2023 Savings Challenge

Post by jgomez1002 »

HappyDaze wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:43 am This morning I passed the test to become a "five-star writer" on Textbroker. It is a very hard test that I have taken before and "failed" (you have to score 90% or better to pass).

Now I will be able to receive a higher per-word rate and charge more per word for direct order assignments. Happy happy!! Every little bit counts!
Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment.

Regards,
Julie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

This morning I went through my closet and tried on several pairs of pants. Put four in the "consignment shop pile". I am going to need an outfit or two for my trip in May. It seems I have just two kinds of clothing - my work clothes and my pajamas, in addition to a couple of "at home" outfits that I shall not be seen in out in public. So I need some nice casual things. UGH. I will check the consignment shop first. I also need some comfortable and supportive walking sandals that aren't ugly. UGH again.

So far, 2023 has been a year of bleeding money. Now I have a hair appointment and car inspection coming up. Somehow I am continuing to save a little bit here and there but I will not be meeting that goal I set for myself without getting a second job - and I'm not doing that.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

It has been an expen$ive week, what with getting my hair done, buying a new pair of pants for my trip in May. I just paid bills and watched my checking balance go down, down, down - but I don't need to spend any more money so it's all good - car is gassed up, I have plenty of food and pet food, everything is paid.

I am slowly setting aside spending money for my trip. I plan to take $200 in cash. I do NOT plan to spend but $50 or so (including the one lunch on the way and one supper on the way home that I have to pay for) but I want to be prepared, plus we have to tip the bus driver and the trip host - suggested amounts are $5 for the driver and $8 for the host.

I plan to work a lot of MTurk surveys this weekend to get a little extra cash in my account. I'm kind of missing the money from my dog sitting gigs - not the gigs themselves - it was a lot - but the pay was really good.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Well this challenge is a bust. I have been bleeding money all year - from vet bills to my trip, a wedding gift and dress for the wedding, flowers for outside, got my hair done, birthday gifts, replaced my vacuum cleaner, excessive grocery spending (meals for parents), extra gas for visits to my parents, gave the kiddos a break on utility bills (temporarily) because they have had a lot of vet bills (and hey, they adopted Felix so that's great), 2 dinners out to celebrate birthdays, new baby gates to keep various parts of the house inaccessible to various pets, some new clothing for work, etc.

Some expenses were of my own choice, and that is fine, just wanted to update. I think that if I am going to live life, my goal was not realistic. I'm going to regroup for the second half of the year and see if I can't save maybe $3K. Oy, it's not easy. My budget book looks like a toddler drew in it - things crossed out, arrows drawn, notes written as plans changed and things came up.

I have been one of those cases where the situation looks amazing on paper - I just have to get down to business and reel it in.

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

HappyDaze wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:35 am My budget book looks like a toddler drew in it - things crossed out, arrows drawn, notes written as plans changed and things came up.

I have been one of those cases where the situation looks amazing on paper - I just have to get down to business and reel it in.
We're having the same year, LOL, my budget book has 6 different highlighter colors and loads of "deferral" (I defer this savings goal 'til __/__ date).

Technically we have 6 months and 28 days left of 2023 to catch up!
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:35 am Well this challenge is a bust. I have been bleeding money all year - from vet bills to my trip, a wedding gift and dress for the wedding, flowers for outside, got my hair done, birthday gifts, replaced my vacuum cleaner, excessive grocery spending (meals for parents), extra gas for visits to my parents, gave the kiddos a break on utility bills (temporarily) because they have had a lot of vet bills (and hey, they adopted Felix so that's great), 2 dinners out to celebrate birthdays, new baby gates to keep various parts of the house inaccessible to various pets, some new clothing for work, etc.

Some expenses were of my own choice, and that is fine, just wanted to update. I think that if I am going to live life, my goal was not realistic. I'm going to regroup for the second half of the year and see if I can't save maybe $3K. Oy, it's not easy. My budget book looks like a toddler drew in it - things crossed out, arrows drawn, notes written as plans changed and things came up.

Life happens and money isn’t everything. You’ve done a lot of good things especially saving Felix and helping your DD and SO when they do so much for you especially with the dogs.

But how about this going forward. When your check is deposited, automatically take out an amount, $50 or $100, and put it in your savings account. Even if you don’t get to $3k it is a start. I say this because my very most successful savings came from automatic withdrawals. I was lucky that we had a company credit union so I never saw it. I imagine you’ve already received your annual pay increase but that was another way I saved by saving the increase before I got used to spending it.

It is a tough year for any of us to save. You are doing better financially than 90%+ of people. Pat yourself on the back!