2023 Savings Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
floridacatlover

Re: 2023 Savings Challenge

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:28 am I am happy to report that the Family Dollar store brand coffee is actually quite good. That purchase brought my total for groceries in January to $186.96 - I want to lower that for February - thinking maybe $150.

Total for pets for the month is $156.33 - that includes the $100 spent on the "orange cat" at the vet. It also includes Lucy's canned green beans.

Gifts/Donations is at $75.06 and includes both DD's (put away for May) and DS's birthday gifts and $33.98 spent on medicine for my parents.

It looks like I will not be moving any money to savings until I get paid this coming Friday. I have to see that "buffer" in my checking account - and the "buffer" right now is not huge. It will be a zero spend weekend so that is good and I will be eating up food that needs to be used and doing some more cooking for next week's meals and to put in the freezer.

Frugal entertainment will include working on a free puzzle and coloring in a free coloring book with pencils and pens I've had for about 3 years. Some frugal cleaning of windows and windowsills will get done using my homemade cleaner (vinegar, dish soap, water).

Savings total for the year so far: $100.
Better to keep a decent buffer in your checking account than feel like you are living on the edge. Plus 3% interest on your checking is fantastic!
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:59 am Better to keep a decent buffer in your checking account than feel like you are living on the edge. Plus 3% interest on your checking is fantastic!
I concur, Florida! I lived on the edge long enough and hope to never have to do it again.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I am very happy with the most recent electric/water/sewer bill. Total is $182.70. Even with increased fees, it is lower than the $213.44 from a year ago! It is obvious that DD and her SO are being more careful and conservative and I appreciate that SO much - I passed a little of the "savings" on to them.

First I subtracted the $48.07 in "flat rate fees" that I would pay whether they are here or not. Then I subtracted what I think would be my share (figuring high to give them a break - $95.00). That brought their share to $39.63 and I gave them the "family discount" of $35.00.

I told DD that the lower that total bill is, the bigger "discounts" I can give them. I don't help them out financially in any other way (never have, never will) so it's "my way" of helping out my kiddos.

It was so nice to open that bill and not have it over $200 this time!!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Like you I keep a buffer in the chequing account. There needs to be a certain amount left in order to not have to pay for transactions. I keep that amount in there at all times.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I went to the pharmacy after work for some Mucinex DM. It was $18.99 per bottle (the price I paid for 2 bottles for my parents, minus a $3 rebate on each bottle, minus $1.91 in Walgreens cash).

The Walgreen's brand - regularly $11.99 was on sale for $7.99. I asked the pharmacist what the difference is - she said there isn't one bit of difference what so ever. I got 2 bottles of the Walgreen's brand for less than one of the name brand. $21.92 saved right there.

I did not want to get the store brand for my parents - did not want them to think 1. I was being stingy/cheap or 2. It was a hardship for me to buy the medicine. I was probably overthinking - but maybe not.

I have record that expense and the $24.41 I spent on live traps for the mouse (mice actually) that I forgot to record. That went under "Household/Maintenance".

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I was hoping for a no-spend day today but I noticed there is just enough dry cat food left for DD to feed the cats today. That will take my January spend on pets up even more - UGH. I don't begrudge them a thing but I need to look into getting bigger bags for less money at Tractor Supply - and do some price comparing.

I think she may be over-feeding - but I tend to under-feed - so we are going to have to figure out the right amount for 4 cats. When I feed them I use one (14 oz size) vegetable can of dry food, add 1/4 cup of hot chicken broth and 1/2 of a small an of cat food. DD uses more of everything.

We have not seen the orange cat since we brought him home from the vet - he is with the neighbor so we know he is safe and fed.

Charles M. Schultz