2023 Savings Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: 2023 Savings Challenge

Post by MackerelCat »

Our electric went up only three dollars from the November bill to the December bill. I have been trying hard to keep the electric use low. Our next natural gas nill will probably be outrageous, though.

I am so glad Lucy likes her green beans. It is a big savings. When Lily was quite sick, we had to put her pills in beef baby food to get her to take them, but now she'll take them in a tablespoon of canned dog food. Huge savings there as a jar of baby food costs almost as much as a whole can of dog food and she was going through 2/3 of a jar a day.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:10 pm Our electric went up only three dollars from the November bill to the December bill. I have been trying hard to keep the electric use low. Our next natural gas nill will probably be outrageous, though.

I am so glad Lucy likes her green beans. It is a big savings. When Lily was quite sick, we had to put her pills in beef baby food to get her to take them, but now she'll take them in a tablespoon of canned dog food. Huge savings there as a jar of baby food costs almost as much as a whole can of dog food and she was going through 2/3 of a jar a day.
Yikes, I know baby food is expensive - my nieces make their own - I made my own back in the 80's before it was "cool". Lucy takes her medicine on an "as needed" basis now - about once a week - so a big savings there because she takes it with a spoon full of canned CAT food.

As a matter of fact, it is 1:58 A.M. as I type this and she just got a dose. Dogs had to go out at 1:30 and she was showing signs of needing it.

I'm not feeling "back to sleep", unfortunately. I know "screen time" won't help that but I've learned to know - am I going back to sleep now - or later - or not at all. This time I'm thinking by 3:00 - and I'll get 3 more hours. It'll be fine (who am I trying to convince, LOL).

I have seen signs that DD and her SO are trying to be more careful with electric use. The other night I thought they went out and left a light on again - so I went in to turn it off (yep, I take that liberty) - but it was only their battery operated string lights - PROGRESS! And the heat was way down to 50 - PROGRESS - but if I can get them to turn it OFF when they leave, I'll be happier - it literally takes just a couple minutes to warm back up in there when you turn it on.

EDITED to turn "batter" into "battery" :?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I cancelled my Walmart Beauty Box subscription - it was less than $8, 4 times a year but it's really just more clutter that I don't need. The last one I gave all the stuff to DD.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I went to make my car payment on my credit unions online banking a few days ago. I thought it was due January 13th (it is due on the 13th of each month) but the thing said FEBRUARY 13th - I had forgotten I already paid.

I will put that money into savings rather than make an extra payment - someone here said (I apologize - I can't recall who) "you can't eat the car" - and I think that is a very good point to remember!

I need to catch up a few entries in my budget notebook today.

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I ended up spending $106.01 on groceries and $4.89 on pets at the store this morning. There were a lot of deals I didn't want to pass up.

I scored a Dunkin creamer (32 oz) for FREE with store sale and coupon (it was a seasonal flavor on markdown for. 84 cents, doesn't expire for months and I had a $1.00 coupon) and there is a $1.00 Ibotta for it. Plus my store did not adjust the coupon down - so it was a $1.16 money maker.

I'm not a huge fan of creamer and prefer my first cup of coffee in the morning black, but I already tried this one and it's alright. If DD doesn't like it, I'll take it to work to share. People always send a message to everyone on our floor what kind of creamer they brought and say "help yourself" - and I haven't done that yet.

My receipt got me 4,679 points (I did a General Mills cereal deal combining store sales and coupons and it was for a 3,000 point bonus on Fetch and $13.65 on Ibotta plus they let me "double dip" and I got an additional 300 points for buying more Chex cereal bars (still on the markdown shelf because boxes are messed up). I will NOT do those Fetch bonus deals unless I CAN combine them with sales and coupons - not worth it to me.

I have to be DONE with groceries for January though - my total for the month is at $180.46 - and it's only the 14th!! I will have to spend more in the pet category - probably another $20.

I won't need any more gas for the car this month - I am at $27.64 for that.

Gifts for the month (and year) are at $41.08. I spent $20 on DD's birthday (put away for May) and sent $20 to DS - plus $1.08 for his card. (I was going to hand deliver at his birthday dinner today - but they are sick so mailed it the other day, not thinking about DD will be taking them some homemade soup - oh well. The stamp counts in my "postage" category, not my "gifts" category).

That about wraps up the budget updates. Still not sure how much I will be moving to savings this month. One more paycheck is coming - 2 more before any more bills are due - but I want to keep paying extra on the car.

My Health Reimbursement Account gave me back the $96 it cost me at the doctor in November plus $13 and change for all my prescriptions related to that. I still have a balance on my HRA for 2022 but no more receipts to submit so $330 and change will go back to my employer - but I'll get another $650 for 2023. Our insurance is high deductible so they give us the HRA to help out, which is nice. When I have a "good year" my health care is essentially free other than the $114-ish I pay for my share of the insurance premiums.

Okay, I am done thinking about money and budgeting for the rest of the weekend and am probably putting anyone reading this to sleep. I will update when I know more how the savings for the month is going to work out.

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:54 pm I ended up spending $106.01 on groceries and $4.89 on pets at the store this morning. There were a lot of deals I didn't want to pass up.

I scored a Dunkin creamer (32 oz) for FREE with store sale and coupon (it was a seasonal flavor on markdown for. 84 cents, doesn't expire for months and I had a $1.00 coupon) and there is a $1.00 Ibotta for it. Plus my store did not adjust the coupon down - so it was a $1.16 money maker.

I'm not a huge fan of creamer and prefer my first cup of coffee in the morning black, but I already tried this one and it's alright. If DD doesn't like it, I'll take it to work to share. People always send a message to everyone on our floor what kind of creamer they brought and say "help yourself" - and I haven't done that yet.

My receipt got me 4,679 points (I did a General Mills cereal deal combining store sales and coupons and it was for a 3,000 point bonus on Fetch and $13.65 on Ibotta plus they let me "double dip" and I got an additional 300 points for buying more Chex cereal bars (still on the markdown shelf because boxes are messed up). I will NOT do those Fetch bonus deals unless I CAN combine them with sales and coupons - not worth it to me.

I have to be DONE with groceries for January though - my total for the month is at $180.46 - and it's only the 14th!! I will have to spend more in the pet category - probably another $20.

I won't need any more gas for the car this month - I am at $27.64 for that.

Gifts for the month (and year) are at $41.08. I spent $20 on DD's birthday (put away for May) and sent $20 to DS - plus $1.08 for his card. (I was going to hand deliver at his birthday dinner today - but they are sick so mailed it the other day, not thinking about DD will be taking them some homemade soup - oh well. The stamp counts in my "postage" category, not my "gifts" category).

That about wraps up the budget updates. Still not sure how much I will be moving to savings this month. One more paycheck is coming - 2 more before any more bills are due - but I want to keep paying extra on the car.

My Health Reimbursement Account gave me back the $96 it cost me at the doctor in November plus $13 and change for all my prescriptions related to that. I still have a balance on my HRA for 2022 but no more receipts to submit so $330 and change will go back to my employer - but I'll get another $650 for 2023. Our insurance is high deductible so they give us the HRA to help out, which is nice. When I have a "good year" my health care is essentially free other than the $114-ish I pay for my share of the insurance premiums.

Okay, I am done thinking about money and budgeting for the rest of the weekend and am probably putting anyone reading this to sleep. I will update when I know more how the savings for the month is going to work out.
You are not putting me to sleep! I love budget details!

You do so well with Fetch and ibotta. I no longer do Fetch and typically get about .85 in ibotta for most shopping trips but it all adds up. I have $60.15 in ibotta right now so I’m thinking of cashing out $50 for “something.”

You are doing great.