2023 Savings Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2023 Savings Challenge

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:38 pm You are not putting me to sleep! I love budget details!

You do so well with Fetch and ibotta. I no longer do Fetch and typically get about .85 in ibotta for most shopping trips but it all adds up. I have $60.15 in ibotta right now so I’m thinking of cashing out $50 for “something.”

You are doing great.
Thank you, FL! It is a bit of "work" for me (but fun too) because I scroll through all the Ibotta and Fetch deals and like I said, match up with sales and coupons to see what I can get for pennies on the dollar. It takes time before I go to the store and it takes me longer IN the store - but that's okay.

I don't subtract that "money back" from the apps from my grocery spending category though - because the money still left my bank account and isn't back in my account yet.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

As much as I would like to say it was another no spend day, it cost $100 even to take "Orange Boy" to the Vet. The neuter was $70 and the ear mite treatment was $30 - tax included. Worth it to get that sweet fella feeling better.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:20 pm As much as I would like to say it was another no spend day, it cost $100 even to take "Orange Boy" to the Vet. The neuter was $70 and the ear mite treatment was $30 - tax included. Worth it to get that sweet fella feeling better.
Well done! Money well spent for an act of kindness.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:50 pm Well done! Money well spent for an act of kindness.
And he won't be populating the neighborhood with kittens come spring! And we hope he won't get in as many fights (or none!). He is always taking off for a couple days and coming back all scratched up.

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I had to go to Family Dollar after work for dry dog food, canned cat food, and dog treats. I HATE going to a store after work and a time or 50, I have rewarded myself for doing this terrible and dreaded chore with some sort of treat - a box of snack crackers, a candy bar, you get the idea.

Tonight I resisted temptation. I have a house full of food and I don't need to be "rewarded" with junk for carrying out my adult responsibilities. So I'm feeling good about that - kind of proud of myself - and I don't even miss the treat!

I did buy coffee. The Chestnut Hill (store brand) ground coffee is $3.25-ish per pound if you buy the 33.5 oz container and I haven't seen any coffee cheaper anywhere since this inflation hit. If this coffee is terrible - free coffee creamer to the rescue! I will drink pretty much anything called coffee though so I'm not too worried.

I'm going to hang a big envelope on the side of my refrigerator for all of my receipts. I have fluff in my head if I think I'm going to record expenses every day - but I can do every week - so the receipts will go in the envelope until they have been scanned into all the apps, surveys taken and expenses recorded in the proper categories.

The electric/water bill came. It is obvious that DD and her SO have been being more conservative. All my yacking has not fallen on deaf ears!! I was pleasantly shocked this time. When I subtract the flat rates for electric, water, sewer, plus my share, they won't owe much - so I will have good news for them on that front.

That's about it on the financial news. I haven't moved anything more to savings yet since that $100 from YouGov.com - waiting till all my payments clear the bank - plus my checking account is now earning 3%.

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I am happy to report that the Family Dollar store brand coffee is actually quite good. That purchase brought my total for groceries in January to $186.96 - I want to lower that for February - thinking maybe $150.

Total for pets for the month is $156.33 - that includes the $100 spent on the "orange cat" at the vet. It also includes Lucy's canned green beans.

Gifts/Donations is at $75.06 and includes both DD's (put away for May) and DS's birthday gifts and $33.98 spent on medicine for my parents.

It looks like I will not be moving any money to savings until I get paid this coming Friday. I have to see that "buffer" in my checking account - and the "buffer" right now is not huge. It will be a zero spend weekend so that is good and I will be eating up food that needs to be used and doing some more cooking for next week's meals and to put in the freezer.

Frugal entertainment will include working on a free puzzle and coloring in a free coloring book with pencils and pens I've had for about 3 years. Some frugal cleaning of windows and windowsills will get done using my homemade cleaner (vinegar, dish soap, water).

Savings total for the year so far: $100.

Charles M. Schultz