2023 Savings Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Quilter51

Re: 2023 Savings Challenge

Post by Quilter51 »

Sheila, you do so very much.

I know it is hard, but step back as much as you can. You really need to care for yourself!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Sheila..what a mess...I am so sorry.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Thank you, friends. I really need to help this poor cat, which may be a few hundred dollars - who knows.

Family is NOT more important than money, I don't mean to give the impression that I think so. But if you knew my family ... I have never in my whole life been able to have anything of my own without being made to feel guilty about it.

And unlike my siblings - nobody has given me anything. One time I took my car in for repairs and the mechanic and his wife - who I know well - asked me why very recently both my siblings had also had expensive car repairs and my dad came down and paid the bills. I just mumbled something along the lines of "I don't know" - it made me feel kind of awkward.

Any time I have anything - that I have WORKED for - I get remarks from family like "must be nice to have xyz..." - like someone came along and handed it to me. They have no idea that I've gone without heat, gone without transportation, worked multiple side hustles, etc.

This morning I am feeling very ticked off at the world - but it will pass and I will have a good day.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I got my budget book updated - every cent spent is recorded in the book and I try to stay within an estimated budgeted amount for the year. I can already tell I will go way over for groceries - it's okay.

Had I known how much I would be helping my family financially, I would not have booked that trip for May. It is non-refundable as I didn't purchase trip insurance.

I have some survey sites and Ibotta, etc. that I am ready to cash out on, so that is good.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

I don't want to pry, but is there any way your brother could help out a bit more with your parents, like help (or help more) with groceries or buying them the Burger King meals?
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

HappyDaze wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:17 am Family is NOT more important than money, I don't mean to give the impression that I think so. But if you knew my family ... I have never in my whole life been able to have anything of my own without being made to feel guilty about it.
Well...rational family might be more important than money. But some of us will never know.

I'd seriously consider moving farther away.

And call whoever is in charge of hoarded animal situations where the cats live on my way out of town; poor babies.