2023 Savings Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

2023 Savings Challenge

Post by HappyDaze »

Well, I was hesitant to put my challenge for 2023 out here - what if I fail? Then I decided it doesn't matter - I will share the journey and it will be what it will be.

So - I want to try to accumulate $8,000 in easily accessible, cash (as in the bank) savings in 2023...just to see if I can...or see how close I can get.

I haven't formulated an exact plan yet - I do know that I will continue to do things like transfer odd amounts of money to savings (for example, if my checking balance is 1,216.78, I will transfer the $16.78 to savings to make the checking balance a "round" "even" number.

I plan to save any "windfall" money (property tax rebate, income tax refund, sick leave buyout at work, that sort of thing) and money earned from side hustles, selling to the consignment shop,etc.

This will mean close monitoring of the budget and examining and re-examining areas where I can save, save, save. Can I walk to the store instead of drive? Can I get a book from the Library instead of the thrift store? And - IMPORTANT - how can I still have fun and do things I enjoy? Fortunately, there is a bit of free fun in my local area and I have a couple of thrifty friends who don't like to spend either.

Come January, I will report how much I am starting with and track progress. This might be THE MOST BORING challenge ever...I'll try not to make it too terrible!!
Last edited by HappyDaze on Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Re: 2023 Savings Challenge

Post by floridacatlover »

I’ll be following your journey! I have confidence in you. I like to keep a healthy amount in my checking account, too. My mom was the same way.

I’m glad that you are keeping fun as a high priority.

You have come so far since I first “met” you when you lived on the mountain. Very impressive.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:42 pm Well, I was hesitant to put my challenge for 2023 out here - what if I fail? Then I decided it doesn't matter - I will share the journey and it will be what it will be.

So - I want to try to accumulate $8,000 in easily accessible, cash (as in the bank) savings in 2023...just to see if I can...or see how close I can get.

I haven't formulated an exact plan yet - I do know that I will continue to do things like transfer odd amounts of money to savings (for example, if my checking balance is 1,216.78, I will transfer the $16.78 to savings to make the checking balance a "round" "even" number.

I plan to save any "windfall" money (property tax rebate, income tax refund, sick leave buyout at work, that sort of thing) and money earned from side hustles, selling to the consignment shop,etc.

This will mean close monitoring of the budget and examining and re-examining areas where I can save, save, save. Can I walk to the store instead of drive? Can I get a book from the Library instead of the thrift store? And - IMPORTANT - how can I still have fun and do things I enjoy? Fortunately, there is a bit of free fun in my local area and I have a couple of thrifty friends who don't like to spend either.

Come January, I will report how much I am starting with and track progress. This might be THE MOST BORING challenge ever...I'll try not to make it too terrible!!
You can do this. I will be watching and cheering you on.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Going along with this savings challenge - I have decided on my word of the year for 2023 - ABUNDANCE.

NOT in a way that I want to amass more - but in a way that I want to have gratitude for the true abundance that I already have - kind of going with my 2022 word of the year - CONTENTMENT.

Some of dozens (maybe hundreds) of examples: instead of "I only have 5 pairs of pants that fit me" I will say "WOW - I have FIVE pairs of pants that fit me!!" Focusing on the plenty and not the lack, being grateful.

Instead of "I don't have a clothes dryer" - it is "I have a machine to wash my clothes in. I have running water and access to plenty of soap. I have space to hang my clothes to dry. I can always have clean clothes to wear."

Instead of "I have to keep my heat off or very low" - it is "I am able to run the heat to warm up my house when I need to. I have plenty of warm clothing and blankets to keep me cozy, warm and safe."

Because really - do I know what true POVERTY is? Do I know what it TRULY is to not have ENOUGH - or to not be able to figure out a way to get enough? NOPE. I am able to work, I am resourceful, I am creative - and I have so much.

Focusing on the true abundance that I already have - I mean really, I lack nothing that I need or want - will help me to meet my savings goal.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I actually did the Simple Abundance workbook a few years back and I loved it. Perhaps I will pull out the book and workbook again this upcoming year.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:53 pm I actually did the Simple Abundance workbook a few years back and I loved it. Perhaps I will pull out the book and workbook again this upcoming year.
Yes, by Sarah Ban Breathnach!! I have that book and I LOVE it - I have never seen the workbook though. Perhaps it will be a present to myself. :-)

Charles M. Schultz