2023 Savings Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: 2023 Savings Challenge

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:45 pm I am having some trouble getting my frugal act together because I'm so dang tired from work! I need to work on my budget pages this weekend.

I also need to be more mindful of things - like not mindlessly dumping dish soap into the dish pan, leaving a light on, driving up the street to pick up a prescription when I could walk, etc. I can do a lot better - being tired is not an excuse - I need to get it together.

Temporary Frugal Fatigue - anyone ever get it and what is the cure?
Yep, when I get it I hide in the house, usually under a bunch of blankets and try and wish it away.

Mine is cooking as well, we go out or order in very rarely and usually just for special occasions. Our Anniversary is in 3 days, and while not cooking would be lovely, I do not feel up to being in a place where there is loads of people. Not going to happen this year.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Nice to know I'm not the only one - thanks, friends. I've been feeling bad I spent $5.50 on a frozen pizza after work yesterday. I guess I should cut myself some slack - at least I didn't hit a drive through or something.

I was going to try to go another week without grocery shopping but that is proving to be counter-productive. Yes, I have enough food in the house to eat for 2 months - but it is a lot of dried beans, canned tomatoes, etc.

I'm going to go to the store today for some almond milk and fresh fruit - and see what markdowns they have that I may be able to use. Thanks again. I think I went "too far frugal" and it backfired on me.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I had a good grocery haul today and between that and what is on hand (a lot) I should be good for the rest of the month. Also good for the rest of the month on pet food and all household items (t.p., dish soap, all of it). It is rare that I don't have to pick up "something" every week - but I'm trying to put a stop to that.

I got 701 points on Fetch Rewards and $6.29 from Ibotta with today's haul. Between those, a store sale and a coupon, I actually made money on a box of Special K cereal.

Keeping my food costs as low as possible, while still eating well, will be one way I try to meet this savings challenge.

I told DD that the 12 cans of cat food in the "pet pantry" have to last until February - she said that is very do-able as she just mixes in about 1/3 with the dry food, along with 1/4 cup of warm chicken broth (32 oz. boxes at Dollar Tree). I do see the partially used cans in the frige (covered).

I need to start using up some of my stash of tea. I got a lovely wooden tea chest and some teas from my son and his wife for Christmas and I want to use up my other tea before I break into those. I'm trying to remember to make a cup at work every day at 2:00.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Happy Daze, do you ever make up freezer meals for your supper since you come home so tired from work? I did this for my lunch when I was working but have switched more to freezing plates of leftovers or cooking something I can freeze to have as a light supper.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:05 pm Happy Daze, do you ever make up freezer meals for your supper since you come home so tired from work? I did this for my lunch when I was working but have switched more to freezing plates of leftovers or cooking something I can freeze to have as a light supper.
Mackie, I was doing that but haven't recently. When I was cooking for the whole week every Sunday, it was for my work lunches and I would also put a couple things into the freezer for supper. I need to get back into that habit.

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I'm glad I did my batch cooking on Sunday, it is wonderful to be able to grab something for lunch and go to work.

I've been frugaling away - extra blankets on the bed, no lights on in the morning, draft stoppers at the doors, etc.

I don't know how much the "little bits" are/will help - but we'll see. None of it is a big deal - I just need to stop and be mindful of what I'm doing - I got quite lazy around the time I got sick in November and I'm just reeling it back in.

With the Beagle on the "green bean diet" I am saving on dog treats and that has always been an area of my budget that has been a challenge. I'm getting a very generic brand canned green bean (literally a plain green and white label) at the local store for .74 cents each and they go a long way - a lot farther than the treats, even with cutting each one into 4 pieces. Lucy loves them. Hope not so much, but it's Lucy that needs them. I sneak Hope a "real treat" when Lucy goes outside.

My pay increase was 4%, my health insurance went up 14%. Dental went up just a few pennies, vision stayed the same. I will still see an increase in my take home pay so going to try to pretend it doesn't exist and just put the difference in savings - we'll have to see what utility costs do over these next 4 months or so.

Charles M. Schultz