2023 at Sandi's

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: 2023 at Sandi's

Post by SandiSAHM »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:44 pm Thank ya! Some of my favorite people are dogs - and visa versa.
Some of my favorite people are dogs - and all my people like dogs. Almost 24 years ago, DH had to pass the dog test before I'd go out with him. If my dogs had not just adored him (& he, them), he wouldn't be here, LOL.

I think they're better judges of character than most humans.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

DH made an executive decision yesterday and we brought home two plum trees. The soil here is such junk that I fear for them, but if it turns out well - plums! Plus they're pretty when they flower :D

We're also spreading out the garden by putting two raised beds on a different side of the house (east) so that plants can get sun in the a.m. without the roasting the regular garden gets all afternoon long on the south side. Hopefully more lettuce, radishes, and eventually maybe strawberries from that side, with a few more herbs.

$ wise we're in the process of deposits for the places we'll stay while on vacation. If we had done this every year, we'd be close to broke :lol:.

Also, I love my mother, but I'd hoped that "we're coming and we're taking you to ......" would have been better received (I'm her only kid, these are her only grandchildren, last visit was pre-covid, there's been much complaining about that) than it was. I know vacations when I was young were going to see family and getting stuff done, from the basecamp of someone's house (planting, harvesting, sightseeing, group gatherings) but there's the 4 of us and you stateside, and there's nothing to do at your house, so we're taking you with us to where there's something to do. I almost offered just to stop by on the way out and again on the way back, if that makes her happier. But she really does like the beach once she gets there ;) and I'm not telling my kids we're spending their post-graduation vacation sitting in grandma's living room being growled at by her dog (he hates everyone but her, poor thing was harmed when he was young) if you even look in his direction.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Turns out I've been writing on the wrong thread for a while - the 2022 thread! That's exactly me :roll:

It doesn't change much, LOL. The first couple of days of June were spent making sure I hadn't missed anything banking-wise while we were on vacation.

Started a new CD with Alliant at 5.15% because that seemed like more of a sure bet right now than a lot of other options, just a place to park some $ and let it grow a little. The IRAs are more aggressive so the savings doesn't have to be, though I hope to also start a new index fund by the end of the year, probably with Vanguard since their fees are so low. Maybe a "target date" thing.

Weatherman says it's probably going to rain today. Hope it blows through before DD's orchestra gig tonight, I'd like to go but don't like wild weather.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

We have post-vacation boredom :lol: Even in the midst of work.

DD's orchestra's season is almost over. She's been invited to join a "cello choir" that has a season later in the year. In the meantime, her registry exam is mid-July - real life, as opposed to bohemian musician life, LOL. Her spring orchestra's leader is planning a return to school and wants to know if she'll run it for him for $, so all he really has to do is show up and conduct. Well, sure, on the side of her real job, with the understanding that the real job's obligations always come first. Side hustles are the thing now.

DS is now a college student. With a day job, LOL. Summer courses sure are accelerated! He has a long-distance friend who is also in her first semester of college, for a totally different major (RN), and I think there's something 'there' beyond just friendship. Cool with me, she's nice, but school has to come before all other things. They were both homeschooled 'til they got to the online academy and both finished with a 3.94 GPA, it's funny. He's been in 'real' classes (his in-person concurrent college courses, all the pre req stuff - history, more history, comp, pre-calcs), she's had comm college courses, too, but due to the pandemic only online - they're commiserating about the demands of college. Between his engineering program and her nursing program, I'm thinking.... just wait, this is the tip of the 'work' iceberg!

One of DH's former reports has asked him to be a reference, she's up for a work from home rather than 'schlep to the office 50 miles away 3 times a week' thing. Hope that works out, she has multiple kids and a near-farm, it'd be good not to have to spend the $ on gas or the time on the road.

Otherwise, not much excitement, we're just keeping things low-expenditure to make up for the vacation. I don't know how folks afford that kind of thing every year (yeah, I do, they put it on credit - not a game I'm willing to play).

Reading 'Your Money or Your Life,' which seems to be a repeat of everything I've learned since the realization that it's possible to spend more than you make if you're not careful.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I'm in a weird rut. Pre empty nest? Is that a thing?

Not that either of them are going anywhere, they're big on the idea of staying here during early career / college, but it feels like the 'shift' to a great deal more independence / scheduling / planning is happening. Which is a good thing and that for which they have been trained, LOL, but that doesn't make it feel any less weird!

It leaves me with not enough to do. I wish I was good for something so I could develop a hobby. I can refurbish furniture (and enjoy it) but there's really no space here for that and the market is low anyway. I'm not a knit / crochet / sew person, that skips a generation in my family.

I cook... but really, no one needs any MORE of that, LOL.

Did make curry today, so that's something. And am working, of course.

I think I have a sinus infection. Nothing tastes like anything (I don't have covid, the flu, or strep, per the swabs) and I'm stuffy.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Congratulations to your DD for getting the new job!