Challenge- Use the Pantry and Freezer First!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
jgomez1002

Re: Challenge- Use the Pantry and Freezer First!

Post by jgomez1002 »

I used one pound of ground beef and one pound of ground pork from the freezer to make meatloaf tonight. The recipe included a half cup of bread crumbs. I used the frozen bread heals I store in the freezer.

I thawed a package of Portuguese pole beans from last summer's garden. They were wonderful sauteed in olive oil with garlic, red pepper flakes and kosher salt.

I thawed a package of smoked salmon. Bagels, cream cheese and smoked salmon were wonderful with my coffee this morning. We get LOTS of free smoked salmon. It is in the freezer and I give it to my neighbors, too. DD is quality control and food safety for one of the large smoked salmon companies in the US. Actually, it is Norwegian company, but the plant is in Maine. The company gives a case of product to each member of management once a month. DD and her DH don't eat fish. She used to turn it down, but now she takes it and I take what I want and give half of it away. The company would just throw away her portion if not taken. I take it. All different types of salmon, smoked trout and mackerel, mussels, and other items the company experiments with.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

jgomez1002 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:14 pm I used one pound of ground beef and one pound of ground pork from the freezer to make meatloaf tonight. The recipe included a half cup of bread crumbs. I used the frozen bread heals I store in the freezer.

I thawed a package of Portuguese pole beans from last summer's garden. They were wonderful sauteed in olive oil with garlic, red pepper flakes and kosher salt.

I thawed a package of smoked salmon. Bagels, cream cheese and smoked salmon were wonderful with my coffee this morning. We get LOTS of free smoked salmon. It is in the freezer and I give it to my neighbors, too. DD is quality control and food safety for one of the large smoked salmon companies in the US. Actually, it is Norwegian company, but the plant is in Maine. The company gives a case of product to each member of management once a month. DD and her DH don't eat fish. She used to turn it down, but now she takes it and I take what I want and give half of it away. The company would just throw away her portion if not taken. I take it. All different types of salmon, smoked trout and mackerel, mussels, and other items the company experiments with.
Wow, free smoked salmon. So lucky and your neighbours are as well.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

I have LOTS of free smoked salmon in the freezer. I would love some ideas on how to use it. Does anyone have recipes? I love it with cream cheese on my bagels. I don't have many other ideas. On crackers with goat cheese, slivers of onion and fresh herbs... I like that, too.

Regards,
Julie
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

I made jambalaya for dinner last night. I used a package of smoked sausage, 3 boneless chicken thighs, and four chicken drumsticks from the freezer to make the jambalaya. I also used a cup of frozen diced green peppers that were from last summer's garden. So tasty. I have a really good recipe. THe spice mix is excellent.

I used frozen blueberries with my yogurt and granola for breakfast today.
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

I used some frozen blueberries to make whole wheat cinnamon blueberry muffins for breakfast. I thawed a chuck roast and made a wonderful pot roast in the crockpot for dinner tonight. So easy and tastes great. I also thawed two cooked turkey legs. I think I will make loaded nachos for dinner tomorrow night. I'll just use turkey instead of chicken... We'll like it.
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

the turkey nachos were great. I will make them again. The two turkey legs gave me enough meat to make quesadillas for lunch tomorrow, too.

I We are supposed to have a two day storm starting tomorrow morning. I need to find something to thaw.
I will...