Challenge- Use the Pantry and Freezer First!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
jgomez1002

Re: Challenge- Use the Pantry and Freezer First!

Post by jgomez1002 »

I just took some frozen turkey stock out f the freezer. I will use it to make a soup later this week. The soup will have barley and lots of vegetables, some of them leftover. Others will be frozen vegetables.

JGomez
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

jgomez1002 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:33 pm I just took some frozen turkey stock out f the freezer. I will use it to make a soup later this week. The soup will have barley and lots of vegetables, some of them leftover. Others will be frozen vegetables.

JGomez
You are doing very well on this challenge.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

Tomorrow's dinner will use item's from the freezer and pantry. I had previously purchase a whole pork loin, which the butcher cut into thirds, and frozen each piece separately. I am thawing one of pieces for a crockpot meal for tomorrow's dinner. Pork loin, can of mushroom (or golden) soup, package of mushroom or pork gravy mix, one cup of broth and vegetable. The only item I purchase for the meal is a pound of fresh mushrooms for 2.99! This recipe was given to me by one of DH cousins we ran into in the market. They add a bag of baby carrots. Cook until tender. remove the pork and shred with two forks. Return to the gravy and vegetables and serve over noodles, rice or mashed potatoes. The cousin often adds lots of different veggies and all three of his kids eat this meal. I'm sure we'll love it. Sounds easy to me and uses an item from my freezer.
I also took a kielbasa sausage from the freezer for a roasted veggie meal this weekend. Roasted Sweet Potato, turnip, carrots, onions and cherry tomatoes! The cherry tomatoes are also from the freezer.

JGomez
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

That pork loin dish sounds delicious.
Mackie
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:55 pm That pork loin dish sounds delicious.
It is in the crockpot right now and my house smells so YUMMY!

JGomez
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

OMG, the pork loin the crockpot is so good. I added a bag of baby carrots and a pound of sliced baby bella mushrooms, 1 cup of broth, 1 can of mushroom soup and 1 packet of mushroom gravy mix to the crockpot with the pork loin and cooked on low for 8 hours. I then shredded the pork and added it back in. We had it on egg noodles. Plenty leftover for dinner Sunday night.

Good- I am starting to make a dent in using up older food from the freezer.

Bad???- The local market had a loss leader of Al Fresco chicken sausage for $1.98 a package . I bought 5 packages and two packages of lower sodium bacon for $3.98 each. They are now in the freezer.

JGomez