Challenge- Use the Pantry and Freezer First!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Challenge- Use the Pantry and Freezer First!

Post by HappyDaze »

jgomez1002 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:11 am OMG, the pork loin the crockpot is so good. I added a bag of baby carrots and a pound of sliced baby bella mushrooms, 1 cup of broth, 1 can of mushroom soup and 1 packet of mushroom gravy mix to the crockpot with the pork loin and cooked on low for 8 hours. I then shredded the pork and added it back in. We had it on egg noodles. Plenty leftover for dinner Sunday night.

Good- I am starting to make a dent in using up older food from the freezer.

Bad???- The local market had a loss leader of Al Fresco chicken sausage for $1.98 a package . I bought 5 packages and two packages of lower sodium bacon for $3.98 each. They are now in the freezer.

JGomez
jgomez, I do the same thing - I have a hard time walking away from a deal and telling myself that there will be more deals later. Like today at the grocery store, 5 lb. bags of potatoes were buy one get one. I have plenty of potatoes - almost a full 10 lb. bag stashed in a drawer in the refrigerator. I did manage to talk myself out of that one.

However, my 96 oz. bottles of almond milk were on sale 2 for $8 - regular price $5.99 each - and I couldn't walk away from that one. At least with the almond milk, I can pour some into glass jars and shove them in my crowded freezer. :lol:
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

I just took a 3.6 lb Boneless Chuck Tender Roast out of the freezer. It will be great for dinner tomorrow night. We have lots of potatoes and should use some before they go bad.

I took a package of grated zucchini out of the freezer. I think I will make some bread or muffins, not sure which. I can make them with whole wheat flour, low sugar and add in some walnuts. Use what I have!

The bad part is I really want to go to my local market again. Chicken drumsticks are .49 a lb this week and boneless chicken thighs are .99 a lb. We really like both and the prices are excellent. I haven't seen them that low in quite a while. I'll probably add to my freezer! :shock:

JGomez
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

jgomez1002 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:47 am I took a package of grated zucchini out of the freezer. I think I will make some bread or muffins, not sure which.
We made pumpkin gingerbread muffins last night from a "bread" recipe - because pumpkins only take 20 minutes to bake vs. the 45 minutes the bread requires, at the same temp.
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

Sandi- Pumpkin Gingerbread Muffins sound delicious.

I didn't realize that the bag of zucchini had two cups in it. I decided to make two loaves of Zucchini Blueberry bread. I love my recipe. It uses whole wheat flour only, stevia, blueberries, zucchini and nuts. I'm diabetic and this recipe lets me have a taste of yummy baked goods. I used the 2nd cup of zucchini into a gluten free loaf that I'm going to split and give half to my pregnant neighbor and half to my brother's girlfriend. Both are gluten intolerant. I used can sugar and King Arthur Gluten free in their loaf. I hope it tastes good.

I used frozen zucchini and frozen blueberries today!

JGomez
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

I used leftover pot roast to make shredded beef enchiladas with verde sauce. I also used the last of my fresh jalapenos to make baked poppers. So good and only used ingredients I had on hand.

I took a pound of frozen ground turkey out of the freezer. I'll make something out of it tomorrow. I was thinking turkey burgers. We have a couple of English muffins that would be good toasted as rolls for the burger. Good with lettuce,tomato and some tator tots that are in the freezer. Now I need to ffind a good turkey burger recipe.

JGomez
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

jgomez1002 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:18 pm I used leftover pot roast to make shredded beef enchiladas with verde sauce. I also used the last of my fresh jalapenos to make baked poppers. So good and only used ingredients I had on hand.

I took a pound of frozen ground turkey out of the freezer. I'll make something out of it tomorrow. I was thinking turkey burgers. We have a couple of English muffins that would be good toasted as rolls for the burger. Good with lettuce,tomato and some tator tots that are in the freezer. Now I need to ffind a good turkey burger recipe.

JGomez
You are really cleaning out your freezer. Great work.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/