Challenge- Use the Pantry and Freezer First!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Challenge- Use the Pantry and Freezer First!

Post by HappyDaze »

jgomez, I appreciate the inspiration you provide in this thread. I really need to work on using up my bags of TVP that I have in the freezer. I thought I had 4 - I have 6!! I also need to get out my "make soup" jars from the freezer and see what sort of slow cooker soup I can get to come together. This weekend maybe.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:24 pm jgomez, I appreciate the inspiration you provide in this thread. I really need to work on using up my bags of TVP that I have in the freezer. I thought I had 4 - I have 6!! I also need to get out my "make soup" jars from the freezer and see what sort of slow cooker soup I can get to come together. This weekend maybe.
Thanks! Everyone's support is keeping me going. I am cooking from scratch more and making healthier meals because of my challenge and they are more varied in taste.

I am making turkey spinach meatballs with homemade pasta sauce for dinner tonight.
From the freezer: 1 lb ground turkey, half a bag of chopped spinach, a quart of chopped tomatoes from my garden, and a hot pepper (long, red and skinny-forgot what type.) I'm also adding a handful of diced dehydrated eggplant to the sauce. Dehydrated eggplant is from my garden, too, The more vegetables, the better!

JGomez
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

jgomez1002 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:24 am Thanks! Everyone's support is keeping me going. I am cooking from scratch more and making healthier meals because of my challenge and they are more varied in taste.

I am making turkey spinach meatballs with homemade pasta sauce for dinner tonight.
From the freezer: 1 lb ground turkey, half a bag of chopped spinach, a quart of chopped tomatoes from my garden, and a hot pepper (long, red and skinny-forgot what type.) I'm also adding a handful of diced dehydrated eggplant to the sauce. Dehydrated eggplant is from my garden, too, The more vegetables, the better!

JGomez
Yum, that's some good, home cooked comfort food!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

jgomez1002 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:24 am Thanks! Everyone's support is keeping me going. I am cooking from scratch more and making healthier meals because of my challenge and they are more varied in taste.

JGomez
Did you have to do anything to your eggplant before dehydrating? Just in case we ever get more eggplant than I need to make parma or eat before doing so.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

Jackielou wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:04 pm Did you have to do anything to your eggplant before dehydrating? Just in case we ever get more eggplant than I need to make parma or eat before doing so.
No, I do nothing extra to the eggplant. I made about 1/2 inch diced cubes and dehydrate until crispy. I store them in Mason jars. I do this with the bigger eggplants. The dehydrated cubes taste almost sweet.

I also dehydrate the eggplant that is small or long and skinny. I slice them very thin and sprinkle with seasoning. Sometimes garlic, salt and pepper. Or, cumin, chili powder and cayenne. Whatever you like. They are a great healthy snack. Just like chips.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

jgomez1002 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:35 pm No, I do nothing extra to the eggplant. I made about 1/2 inch diced cubes and dehydrate until crispy. I store them in Mason jars. I do this with the bigger eggplants. The dehydrated cubes taste almost sweet.

I also dehydrate the eggplant that is small or long and skinny. I slice them very thin and sprinkle with seasoning. Sometimes garlic, salt and pepper. Or, cumin, chili powder and cayenne. Whatever you like. They are a great healthy snack. Just like chips.
Thanks.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/