Quilter's Money Saving and No Waste Challenge.

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Quilter51

Re: Quilter's Money Saving and No Waste Challenge.

Post by Quilter51 »

Had a no spend day yesterday and also a not leaving the house day until daughter picked me up for dinner!

Organized my scraps into what is now one large rectangular laundry basked stacked high to go through bi by bit. Took measurements of all my unfinished projects that need borders or backing and perused ideas for small pieces beyond mug rugs and coasters. I am going to put some of next months spending money on bees wax and some other things and try making beeswax bowl covers and sandwich folds.

Spent a brief time earning money. Goal is to spend at least an hour on days when I can which should be aminimum of ten bucks daily if not more and use that asmy spending money.

Did a menu plan and made a very short list for pickup today to get through this week. (sour cream, salad bowls for lunches, eggs, fruit, detergent and dish soap). Did not add protein shake or cookies but I cang et those at walgreens. Again, I need to make a weekly list of things I buy every week and a master shopping list to get rid fo these small pickups.

Today my money saving (and fun) endeavor is to see what I can put out in front in place of a wreath for seasonal decor. I have my door and on each side of the wall in the little alcove their are nails, so I may actually paint a valentine canvas (everything is on hand) and then stuff a large fabric heart for the other side.

Onward and forward.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Quilter51 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:05 pm Had a no spend day yesterday and also a not leaving the house day until daughter picked me up for dinner!

Organized my scraps into what is now one large rectangular laundry basked stacked high to go through bi by bit. Took measurements of all my unfinished projects that need borders or backing and perused ideas for small pieces beyond mug rugs and coasters. I am going to put some of next months spending money on bees wax and some other things and try making beeswax bowl covers and sandwich folds.

Spent a brief time earning money. Goal is to spend at least an hour on days when I can which should be aminimum of ten bucks daily if not more and use that asmy spending money.

Did a menu plan and made a very short list for pickup today to get through this week. (sour cream, salad bowls for lunches, eggs, fruit, detergent and dish soap). Did not add protein shake or cookies but I cang et those at walgreens. Again, I need to make a weekly list of things I buy every week and a master shopping list to get rid fo these small pickups.

Today my money saving (and fun) endeavor is to see what I can put out in front in place of a wreath for seasonal decor. I have my door and on each side of the wall in the little alcove their are nails, so I may actually paint a valentine canvas (everything is on hand) and then stuff a large fabric heart for the other side.

Onward and forward.
I made beeswax covers for the boys a few Christmas's ago. The first ones I tried making I got a bit too much beeswax on them, but I got better at figuring out how much I needed to sprinkle on.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Well, I have spent no money with the exception of a girl scout order since my last post (three boxes of cookies). not a given, since most of my shopping is online, but right now I am keeping the no spending going.

(My amazon cart includes soulmate socks and a whiteboard and some paintbrshes, none if which can be substituted used or not so far, but I am holding off on all three. I am going to use the whiteboard on my wall to make a list of projects instead ofjust putting them in a notebook).

Cooking wise, while I don't have as deep a pantry as many, I just keep using stuff up. by the weekend I will probably need a small order that includes mainly fruits and veg and snack items.

when I cleaned out my fridge there was milk no good, two containers of leftovers, and the bottom of a big thing of strawberries-a reminder to me that I need to just get the small and not the big pack and keep some frozen on hand. Getting better but not as good as I would like. I also did a pantry check and there are some things (Including a couple baking mixes ) that are on the edge and I need to use sooner than later. The baking mixes I will cook up and take to coffee hour, along with some of the girl scout cookies that are coming.

All my crafting and sewing has been with stuff on hand. I am doing a "make a day" challenge on a FB group and in addition to my other projects making stuff for that using things on hand needed to upcycle. I think I am going to start reusing my instagram and commit to a page a day with a make or partial make. As an aside, if you know what soulmate unmatched socks are (see amazon), there is a gal turning her old and unmatched ones into scarves, and I am in love.

I have yet to officially put anything into savings, however I have decided rather than transferring my paypal earnings to checking that since I have a paypal debit card, I will just keep that as my building emergency fund for now. We'll see how that goes.

I have done wedding research. A hotel for son and I would be 250 a night for four nights, and daughter is looking at an air bnb for the four of us which would have some steps but that I could handle once a day. I have also seen what I believe will be my dress for the event. So I will put a virtual envelope aside for those expenses.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I am behind on everything it seems. Hopefully today and tomorrow I can total up January and get February in place. (I was just downloading, but so many receipts had to be divided up, like today I got foot and a white board and so on so I am trying to do better with categories)

Yesterday was a complete no spend. and mainly lazy. I did not even give the church my monthly commitment as I forgot envelopes and or checks. I did give to happy hour though.

I made a list of meals that I had on hand to make, plus leftovers in the fridge (mainly eaten down, itll be time to pull out the big slow cooker here a time a week or so-I don't even have chili left for the Superbowl) I need to do a better job of freezing some things as soon as I make and just leaving out a serving for lunch and for another dinner.

I did to go the store this morning. Early for me, dressed an out at eight. I got some things to fill in for meals (sour cream for the stroganoff, frozen veggies and fruit, whole grain sandwich rolls and frozen sausage patties ) In the name of organization I got a white board to list my projects of each month on the back of my big crafting table and some storage bins. Falls under unplanned spending (I was only looking for bible markers) but I am trying to eliminate all cardboard storage of any kind in the house.

Today my daughter and I have four bags of things to go to goodwill, plus a box of books from her college days. I am going to double check to see if there is anything I missed that I can upcycle craft wise before I let it go.

Today and tomorrow will now be fully no spend days, and I will try and spend at least three hours earning.

Both my kids birthdays are this month (my Denver son on Sunday) so that will be additional spending, albeit planned and deserved.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Well I am wayyy, behind here I'll tell you.

This week, I am no spend except for my allowed girl's brunch on Saturday and a very mini grocery fill in on Saturday also (a couple lunch items, a family pack of on sale porkchops, more diet soda. It's the middle of the month and my grocery numbers are at 130, which I feel is good since I allowed a hundred dollars a week.There are things on sale that I can stock up on this week though, so I will be adding to that number. I allowed myself four hunded monthly but if I can keep it down.

Also in my allowed budget for dining out. Finished with Birthday gifts for this month (next month is also a biggie). and so I am on track.

May need to spend to sell in the craft fair area but not yet. So far I am making all things to sell from what I have on hand, and we'll where that gets me as my stash is much less than many others.

Budget is done and I have my tax info, but I need to figure out how much I made on incidental income between craft fairs and surveys and add that and also balance it for the future. I love the craft fairs so I will probably do them anyway, but if the survey's change my tax requirements above pay nothing (I end up being even) , then I will rethink.

Today and tomorrow's goal is to make a list of all the upcomng expenses that I know of for each month (car registration, birthdays, wedding trip) and then extend my budget out based on those.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Sorry folks, I have let this drop off so I'll just start today, since I need to get back on track (with journaling and all kinds of things).

Yesterday was a spend day. Monthly haircut (you gotta when you where it short!). and my annual fill in/grocery shopping pickup. This put me at 195 for the first two weeks. After coupons I spent forty dollars at Joanne which is within my creative budget (I'd like to get it lower by thrifting and upcycling but it's the beginning of selling season, so for now I will keep it) I did have one "unauthorized" expense. Mainly because I did follow my advice to myself and others. I went out without having lunch first AND I got the shakes in the middle of Joanne and had not a Hershey's kiss or a pb cracker in my car or purse, so I got a whataburger sandwich (I dont do fries)

Today has been full out no spend, and I even got something gifted. A friend brought by a lemon meringue pie. This afternoon I am going to the knitting group mentioned in my daily checking for their potluck. I had a bag of small pita breads in the freezer and humus, plus some sliced cake. I will take those to the meeting.

Other than that my plans consist of using any free time to read, or cut fabric. Tomorrow should also be a no spend day. After church I will slow cook ranch pork chops (thin chops with ranch dressing mixed into cream soup) and then freeze much of it.