Purposeful and Frugaling in 2023

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Purposeful and Frugaling in 2023

Post by MackerelCat »

My word for the year is Purposeful because I enjoy feeling that there's a big picture holding our actions together. A big part of that is frugaling, since I retired early and we are living on one income for a while.

I am starting the year with a month of not spending on non-essentials and a low-spend on groceries. After some months of tracking expenditures, here's what I aim to do:

January
1. Drop our food spending in January from $102 per week to a maximum of $90.
2. Purchase no gasoline for my car -- should be easy as I don't drive much.
3. No online purchases.
4. No non-essential purchases.
5. Continue rack drying as much laundry as possible. Our dryer is wearing out, so it's not just the savings on electricity.

Also challenging myself to get my car insurance lowered due to #2 above and to call my doctor's office about changing a medication to one covered by our health insurance.

We'll see how it goes!
Mackie
floridacatlover

Re: Purposeful and Frugaling in 2023

Post by floridacatlover »

Good, concrete goals, Mackie. You should definitely get a break on your car insurance..
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Mackie, what Florida said. When I moved to within a mile of work and told my broker I often walk to work - my insurance went down a significant amount.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

First week of 2023 grocery shopping: $83.74! This included $3 for paper cupcake liners, $3.90 for beef baby food to use to get Lily Dog to take her heart pills, and $11.74 for an enormous beef chuck roast that was marked down at Food Lion.

The roast was big enough to make a pot roast and a package of diced soup beef for the freezer.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Great savings on the roast Mackie. Love getting deals like this.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Jackie, it has been ages since nicely marbled beef has been in the stores. This roast was just lovely and it cooked up beautifully. I imagine it originally cost a king's ransom and they were clearancing it ahead of the weekend.
Mackie