Purposeful and Frugaling in 2023

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: Purposeful and Frugaling in 2023

Post by MackerelCat »

The beef baby food for Lily is $1.19 a jar (best price) and she goes through a jar in a little more than a day. Sometimes she will take the small pills in a dab of canned dog food, but not often.

Her heart is pressing on her trachea and makes it hard for her to swallow. One of her pills is large and I have to cut it into pieces and give her each piece in a little bite of baby food.

I think on the next payday I will put on a mask and go to the Walmart Market to stock up on the food for her. It's a constant worry that the other two grocery stores won't have it in stock.
Mackie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Today when I went to the expensive grocery store to buy the three things that are cheaper there, ham baby food was on sale and I bought four jars for Lily. It was a big hit: she lunged for the spoonful with her pill in it like a shark. :-D
Mackie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I used up a bag of cooked chicken to make black bean-chicken soup. Also threw in a chopped baked sweet potato, mushrooms, some frozen spinach, diced tomatoes and a big handful of frozen corn. It made 6.5 cups of soup, five of which I froze in small Pyrex containers. That takes care of lunch for a while.
Mackie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Today as part of frugaling like whoa, I cut four nice-size handtowels for the bathroom out of some lightweight terrycloth fabric and hemmed them on the machine with a zigzag stitch. It took only a few minutes. DH is hard on handtowels, so there's no point in spending a lot on them.

Also thawed and sliced up one of chunks of pork butt roast in the freezer and put it in the crockpot with some barbecue sauce to make pulled pork. Ran short of sauce and did magic with ketchup, Worchestershire sauce and some spices. It tastes absolutely fine.
Mackie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I will be so glad when February is over and March 1 rolls around. That's when DH's pension starts and our financial situation gets easier. Keeping the grocery spending so low for 2.5 adults has been really rather difficult at times, especially with DH being so flighty about what he'll eat.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Mackie, you are my frugal inspiration when it comes to the grocery budget. When I saw yours was lower for 3 people than mine was for one, I knew I needed to do better! You have done a great job!

With just myself to feed, there is no excuse - and other than not eating meat (or much dairy), I'm not finicky.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz