Purposeful and Frugaling in 2023

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Purposeful and Frugaling in 2023

Post by HappyDaze »

Mackie, you are doing better on grocery spending than I am as a "family of one". Could have something to do with the prices differences in our locations but I do think I can be more careful and I don't need to be stocking up as much as I have been.

I also like to try new grocery items and have mercy, if I see a markdown, I will buy ALL of them if it's an item I can use or preserve to use later - and I don't need to be doing that.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I was intentional about stocking up during the fall on some items we use all the time, so that has helped keep the current cost lower. And we do have an Aldi store a few miles away, which is a huge savings. I might go only once every two months to buy pantry staples, but they are ridiculously cheap there.
Mackie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Okay, I have finished grocery shopping for the month and squeaked in at $89.83 per week for people food.

We average about $23 a week for pet treats and baby food to give their pills in. This is was an elevated expense because Lily Dog takes medicine five times a day. Household goods, which are things like paper towels and cupcake liners, averaged less than $3 a week.

Still have more than half a tank of gas in my car. I have not bought gas since mid-December.

Flunked out on no online purchases, but there were no frivolous online purchases.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Mackie, I flunked on online purchases too - I had to get live traps for our mouse problem from Amazon - none of the stores around here had them.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Except for one online purchase that is planned in February, I will do my darndest to avoid buying online next month.

Today I did more use-it-up cooking. DH accidentally bought two jars of fruit baby food for our dog instead of pumpkin and I used it to make breakfast muffins. Also made a pot of lentil-vegetable-chicken soup that used up a bag of carrots and half a bag of cooked chicken. It made seven servings for lunches.

This evening I made a big pot of spaghetti sauce that used up a bag of frozen chopped peppers and some frozen tomato paste. We had a spaghetti supper, and DS finished off a jar of applesauce.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:17 pm Okay, I have finished grocery shopping for the month and squeaked in at $89.83 per week for people food.

We average about $23 a week for pet treats and baby food to give their pills in. This is was an elevated expense because Lily Dog takes medicine five times a day. Household goods, which are things like paper towels and cupcake liners, averaged less than $3 a week.

Still have more than half a tank of gas in my car. I have not bought gas since mid-December.

Flunked out on no online purchases, but there were no frivolous online purchases.
You are doing very well, Mackie!

I know that baby food is expensive. I bought some when I was trying to get Pippi to eat anything. Wow, Lily Dog gets her medicine five times a day. I know you’ve mentioned that before. That sure keeps you busy and your DH, too, now that he is giving her her early pill. Lily Dog and all of the other Mackie Family pets are lucky to have you.