Purposeful and Frugaling in 2023

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: Purposeful and Frugaling in 2023

Post by MackerelCat »

I think I stubbed my toe on a borderline essential purchase today. Here's the back story:

DH just got the robovac back from the repair shop and told me today we needed to get rid of the laundry room rug because the robovac had burned out a servo motor after getting caught on a loose string from a rug.

The dogs' rug in the kitchen is similarlly shedding strings, so what we needed was two flat-woven rugs. I had thrown away a mailer this morning with $10 in Kohl's cash in it because, hey, no spend month.

Dug the mailer out of the trash. The offer expires tonight. So I wound up ordering two rugs and a new kitchen grater, as the old one is completely dull and I wind up just mashing cheese through it because it won't cut.

To keep this on the frugal rails, the rugs were buy one get one half off, there was $10 in Kohl's cash to apply, plus a coupon for $15 from RetailMeNot, and free shipping. I spent $97, after total savings of $67. It was cheaper than going to Ollie's Outlet and digging through the piles of factory seconds.

The rugs were kind of essential, in terms of keeping the floor clean and giving the dogs a place to lie down. The grater was a definite need and I had planned to buy it anyhow.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Mackie, you did good, girl - rugs are expensive! I had to get more "wipe your feet" rugs and mats just before the new year. Even at Family Dollar I thought they were expensive.

My dogs each have one of those nice soft Sherpa dog beds and they never ever use them or even go anyplace near them - they lay on my little scatter rugs - the one if front of the washing machine and in front of the sink. Those dog beds are a pain in the neck to store - they are currently under my dining room table - I need to relocate them to the garage and then wait for a nice day and put them outside with a "free" sign on them.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

These new rugs, which won't arrive for about two weeks, are polypro and can be spot cleaned, damp mopped, or taken outside and hosed off. So that should help keep them clean. These things are important for life with dogs.

The girls like to have a rug in the kitchen because our bedroom is off the kitchen and they sleep close by our door. They also like to just chill on their rug while I cook.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

You got a good deal. I like Kohls and I think they have decent prices if you combine coupons and Kohls cash. You ordered enough to get free shipping which is great. That is my biggest complaint about Kohls online, the shipping cost for orders less than $75.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

It was a really good deal. Our den rug came for Kohl's and has been great.

Even though I am doing a no silly spending month, it would have been dumb to have let the $10 Kohl's cash expire and not make the purchase until February.
Mackie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I did not think things through when setting no online purchases as one of this month's stipulations. We are almost out of bags for the Miele vacuum, and those have to be ordered online.

So the place where I bought the vacuum sent me a sales flyer by email, but two boxes (8 bags) were $45 on sale, plus tax and shipping. These things are expensive, but really? Looked on eBay, and a seller in Georgia had two new boxes with free shipping for $33.39. after tax.

That should last a year, so it was a good deal.
Mackie