How Little Can I Spend?

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Momof2Still

How Little Can I Spend?

Post by Momof2Still »

My major challenge this year is to see how little I can spend on groceries for the year while eating healthy, well, and not letting my pantry get down below a comfortable level. I am also trying once a month shopping which is working out well so far. I have spent $267.00 on groceries to date this year. I have a budget of $60.00 per week, so I am well below that amount, and I have not felt like using the excess for stocking up- I am sure that is because I “wasted” a lot when moving and I HATE wasting food. By “wasted” I mean given to neighbors or donated. I do not need nearly the amount of food I thought I did prior to moving.

I have done a good job of not wasting food bought since moving into my apartment here, but I have tossed a few items that expired while in storage while moving. I may have a few more, but I am not going to beat myself up about it. I have frozen a few things to keep them from getting tossed, but now I need to incorporate them into my menu plan before they get freezer burned. This week I am using a small bag of pre-cooked meatballs (made, not purchased meatballs).

I am also spending as little as possible in other categories too. Any money left over will be put into my emergency savings- I would like to save enough for 6 month's expenses. That will take a while, but every little bit helps it grow! And not throwing out food helps with saving. I don't plan on listing what I buy, but what I didn't waste.
HappyDaze

Re: How Little Can I Spend?

Post by HappyDaze »

I like your challenge and will be following you on your "how little can I spend" journey! I also need to get on board with it - I am spending too much!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good for you! I am a big believer in having an emergency fund and that is a good goal.

I have never been one to waste food but right now I have a lot of fruit (which I love) because I overbought for a fruit salad for friends. And as a former Floridian you know that it is strawberry season here now.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

It sounds as if you have a wonderful plan for yourself. It sure will be interesting to see how little you can spend this year. So far you are doing fantastic.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

HappyDaze- thanks. I have been following your challenge and you are doing well with it. I know you have had some unplanned spending, but it has been for great reasons (your parents, and that precious cat). I spent more than I should have when I first started with my job back in October, but it was for my students so I count that as a good cause and am not going to stress over it. Now, I don’t plan on spending much more this school year and am considering working the Extended School Year (06/20-07/13- 4 days a week for 4 hours a day) this summer to make extra money. If I decide to do that I am going to split it between my emergency fund and money for extra things for my students next school year because I always need/want things for my classroom and have to purchase them myself.

Floridacatlover- I will miss the Florida strawberry season- they are so sweet and at a reasonable price- or at least they have been in the past. Do you like smoothies? I have frozen fruit (not citrus) on cookie sheets and bagged it up once it is frozen to use in smoothies, which I love. Strawberries are very pricey here at this time, but I am sure it is because they are not in season. I am determined to get 6 months worth of expenses saved up- necessary expenses, not extra (that might be something to aim for once I have the needed expense funds saved). I do have an emergency fund, just not enough to cover 6 months of expenses.

Jackie-thanks. I am determined to not overspend on groceries that I do not need this year. I am only one person and do not need to store food as though I were feeding a family of 4 (or more). I want to not worry about running out of food in the event of an emergency, but also not waste food. I also cannot imagine needing anything new for the house anytime soon- I spent a lot of money during my move last year as well as once I got my new apartment.

My food is prepped for the week, so no money will need to be spent on food this week. For lunch I will have a chicken and spinach pie topped with mashed potatoes, and carrot and celery sticks with yogurt-dill dip. Breakfast will be orange muffins and yogurt with granola.

Items used so I didn’t waste them:
*Potatoes (wrinkly): mashed potatoes for the chicken and spinach pie topping, and also with the Swedish meatballs I made for dinner; fried potatoes with breakfast this morning (still have two, but I have plans to use them later in the week)
*Oranges- getting soft- Orange muffins for breakfast this week (used the zest and juice of)
*Pre-Cooked Meatballs from freezer (made not bought)- Swedish Meatballs for dinner
*Broccoli-beginning to go limp- steamed as a side for dinner
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

I love your list of items used. It gives me ideas on how to use items that are in my pantry and freezer.

JGomez