How Little Can I Spend?

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Momof2Still

Re: How Little Can I Spend?

Post by Momof2Still »

jgomez1002 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:25 pm I love your list of items used. It gives me ideas on how to use items that are in my pantry and freezer.

JGomez

I like to read what everyone else is using or cooking for the same reason. I love to cook, but there are days when I get tired of trying to decide what to cook, and how to use up ingredients.

It has been a crazy week, and it isn’t over yet. I have a few food saves, so that at least is a positive.

Items I used, so as not to waste them:
*Last 2 wrinkly potatoes- used them to make Cruncy Potato Tacos
*Avocado- made guacamole to go with the Cruncy Potato Tacos
*Cherry Tomatoes- used 6 in the guacamole
*Italian Bread- used 4 slices to make ham and cheese paninis
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

No money out for groceries this week, so I will put my budgeted amount into my 6 month savings.

I used a few things from the freezer- sausage links (pkg. of 2); a couple of ham slices from a pkg.; about a cup of frozen shredded mozzarella, a large chicken breast, about ⅕ loaf of Stollen and 5 frozen chocolate chip dough balls. I also pulled a couple of things to use later in the week- 2 pieces of salmon, and a pork and broccoli sausage.

I used the following things (adding other ingredients too):
*sausage links- for breakfast with eggs and grits
*ham slices, ½ pkg. Fresh spinach, partial onion from fridge, shredded mozzarella from the freezer and about ¼ cup whipped cream cheese that needed using- crustless quiche
*chicken breast and ⅔ pkg. Kimchee, and the rest of the celery-chicken stir-fry
*chocolate chip dough balls- chocolate chip cookies for lunches this week
*Stollen- thawed and sliced to use after dinner as a treat-it was left over from Christmas, so needed using before it gets freezer burned
*Italian bread- garlic bread
*Blood oranges and craisins- Orange muffins (again- added the craisins to half the batter to change things up a bit). I also used 2 along with an apple in a Jell-O Fruit salad
*Whipped topping- used in the Jell-O salad
*Avocado- last one to make guacamole
*Made crunchy potato tacos with the left-over items from earlier in the week

I added a few items to the freezer- 2 ½ large Orange, and Orange and Craisin Jumbo muffins- cut them in half because they are really large, 1 serving mashed potatoes, and ⅓ bag of fresh spinach
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

No money out for groceries since the last post. This was my weekend to shop since it has been a month, but the only thing I needed to make the meals for this week was tomatoes and red pepper, so I altered that recipe- omitted the tomato, and used red pepper from the freezer. I like it, so while I am sure it would taste great the way it was intended, I am happy with the results and am able to push shopping off another week- more money towards my saving goal. I still have potatoes, one sweet potato, red and yellow onions, garlic, two carrots, and some fruit- apples, oranges, and kiwi. I have plenty of frozen fruit and veggie options, as well as canned and dried.

I used a few things from the freezer for last week’s meals- sausage links (2 links); frozen empanada, lasagna, turkey gumbo, and ham. I also had a turkey tenderloin that I cooked half, and stuck half in the freezer for later. I made a loaf of bread in the bread machine, and used veggies from the fridge and freezer. I pulled the muffins that I added to the freezer earlier this month for breakfast this week along with homemade yogurt topped with granola.

How I used the following things (adding other ingredients too):
*sausage links- for breakfast with eggs and grits
*ham slices- along with the homemade bread and cheese- cheese panini for lunch for two days. Added chips that had been in the pantry a while, and fresh fruit
*Turkey tenderloin (½- froze the other half to cook later)- made mashed potatoes and gravy along with a pkg. of green beans from the freezer- 3 meals from this
*Empanada- made Sweet Potato fries in the air fryer (empanada was also cooked in the air fryer) along with a spicy dipping sauce.
*Lasagna- used the zucchini in the fridge to make Oven Roasted Parmesan Zucchini and used some of the homemade bread to make Texas-style Garlic toast- 2 meals
*Turkey Gumbo- added rice and Garlic toast along with some fruit- 1 lunch and 1 dinner
*Cottage cheese with kiwi, almonds, graham crackers with Nutella (lunch two different days)

I only added the ½ turkey tenderloin to the freezer, so I was able to get an ice tray to fit for ice cubes.

I didn’t toss anything this week.

I pulled for this week/weekend’s meals: ham slice (1); small roast, package of meat sauce, ½ lb. ground venison, 1 pkg. (3 count- I think) boneless,skinless chicken thighs, and pkg. of mashed potatoes (1 serving).

So far I made from the above:
*mashed potatoes- added sour cream and other seasonings and made Crispy Potato tacos (had with a Jicama and corn mix, and Sweet Potato fries (made in air fryer) with a spicy dipping sauce. It made enough to have left-overs for lunch tomorrow. There is plenty of the Jicama and corn mix to have later in the week as a side with another recipe.
*Roast- added carrots, potatoes, and onions. Will also have a creamy horseradish sauce with the meal.
*Ham slice- had with fried eggs and grits for breakfast Saturday morning.

I added to the freezer 3 waffles that were left from this morning's breakfast.
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

It has been 5 weeks since my last shopping trip, and if it weren’t for being almost out of milk, I could have pushed it off another week. I spent $83 and change at Aldi, and $54 and change at Giant. I bought milk in ½ gallon size jugs as they fit much better in the freezer and the three I bought last time I went shopping lasted 5 weeks-I had maybe a 1 cup left in the jug. Freezing two of them worked out very well. I also make oat milk, so that cuts down on the amount of milk I use weekly. I could have saved about $20.00, but I am having a friend and her family over for dinner one night, so I needed a few ingredients to add to what I already had on hand.

In addition to the previous meals for this week, I used and made:

*½ box cake mix- small cake with a Nutella frosting to use up the Nutella approaching expiration and the partial box of cake mix
*½ lb. ground venison- small meatloaf
*Meat sauce- homemade and from the freezer over pasta
*Boneless/Skinless chicken thighs: Garlic Honey Chicken

Off to make tonight’s dinner (I usually eat a little earlier, but I had a late lunch)- Turkey burger on toasted English Muffin, Sweet Potato fries (made in the air-fryer) with spicy dipping sauce.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Momof2Still wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:30 pm It has been 5 weeks since my last shopping trip, and if it weren’t for being almost out of milk, I could have pushed it off another week. I spent $83 and change at Aldi, and $54 and change at Giant. I bought milk in ½ gallon size jugs as they fit much better in the freezer and the three I bought last time I went shopping lasted 5 weeks-I had maybe a 1 cup left in the jug. Freezing two of them worked out very well. I also make oat milk, so that cuts down on the amount of milk I use weekly. I could have saved about $20.00, but I am having a friend and her family over for dinner one night, so I needed a few ingredients to add to what I already had on hand.

In addition to the previous meals for this week, I used and made:

*½ box cake mix- small cake with a Nutella frosting to use up the Nutella approaching expiration and the partial box of cake mix
*½ lb. ground venison- small meatloaf
*Meat sauce- homemade and from the freezer over pasta
*Boneless/Skinless chicken thighs: Garlic Honey Chicken

Off to make tonight’s dinner (I usually eat a little earlier, but I had a late lunch)- Turkey burger on toasted English Muffin, Sweet Potato fries (made in the air-fryer) with spicy dipping sauce.
You are doing fantastic!
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Thanks Floridacatlover.

I broke my once-a-month shopping today and placed a small order and picked it up. I didn't take into account that I like to make a largish breakfast when I am not working (I am home all week for Spring Break), so I was running low on eggs and breakfast meats. Since I was going to be at the store, I added a roasting chicken to the list (I have decided to stay home on Easter, so will roast the chicken with some side items already on hand). One chicken, 2 dozen eggs, 1 pkg. bacon, 1 pkg. sausage links minus coupon and rewards,my total was $29.37. Even with this trip, I have only bought groceries 4 times this year, so not too bad. I have a jammed packed fridge and freezer, so it will be a while before I need anything again (I think).