Buy Nothing New Challenge for 2015

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
lennon05

Re: Buy Nothing New Challenge for 2015

Post by lennon05 »

I found my youngest grandson several shirts and a coat at the thrift store today.
lennon05

Post by lennon05 »

I found the toddler a DVD for Christmas at the thrift store today.
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

how is everyone doing with this challenge? I did have to buy a pair of black loafers this year and with shoes I buy them new so that I can break them in. also got bedding and not on sale, ouch! king size bedding and sheets are expensive but I really enjoy sleeping on the new soft sheets and it looks good too. got 4 upgraded pillow from kohls too. otherwise, that was about it for new. clothing was all from thrift stores and I do get compliments on them, I shop carefully for clothing. still looking for a used headborad, another bookcase and need a small table for the upstairs bathroom. cj
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Did darn good on the clothing part (only a couple of bras, a few socks and panties).

Any small appliances I wanted (see wanted not really needed) the DS's bought me for Christmas or my birthday.

Bigger items were purchased but as my gifts from Hubby for my birthday or Christmas.

I think this challenge went over quite well in those regards.

However, I was going to try no yarn, no fabric, and no books..... Those I utterly failed at. Bad me. Yet in reality, those things kept me happy and occupied for hours and out of the stores spending money that did not have to be spent. Perhaps not so bad of me after all.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

This year I bought new: a hooded sweater-coat, which is perfect for our mild winters, a pair of sneakers and a pair of sandals, panties, and a pajama set. Everything else came from thrift shops. I did buy a new-with-tags bra off eBay, but that's technically secondhand.

Jackie, I also utterly fail at not buying books. However, I have a whole bookcase full of stuff to read, so this year will see a reduction in that (I hope).
Mackie
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Hmmm, I bought 1 skein of variegated yarn to integrate a block baby afghan and 1 skein to knit a hat to go with my thrift coat. I did buy $5 of print fabric intending to make a blouse to go with pants/skirt/jackets I had already. Bought some fat quarters & quilt fabric to finish great-nephew's baby quilt. Bought lining and zippers to sew skirts. So not much spending in the sewing/knitting category!

I did buy new sneakers $40 and a pair of beige tights $7.

I bought 2 nightstands and 2 lamps for the guest bedroom. These were the most expensive things. I really hated the old ones! Sold those at the yard sale. I bought a folding wooden snack table $12 to use with 2 existing director's chairs to make outside seating. Love these since they all fold flat to store in winter.