Do you find yourself "compensating" for a planned no-spend?

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: Do you find yourself "compensating" for a planned no-spend?

Post by MackerelCat »

Like Jackie, I aim for a set number of no-spend days, which are fairly easy to accomplish now that I'm working all the danged time. I have no energy or time to shop during the week! At first it bothered me that our grocery total seemed to have gone way up, but eventually I realized it was mainly because I wasn't spreading out purchases over a time period: it was getting done in one whack on Saturdays.
Mackie
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

I think the no spend days would put me under to much pressure. I go strictly by my budgeted amount. I never know when I will have to spend money on a rental property and I don't have any choice if something goes wrong, it's got to be fixed immediately. I try not to spend any income from that account (unless it's a rental expense) until the end of the year and then I know what kind of profit I will have. I will then transfer the excess over what I budget for repairs into a CD.

There are very few months that I don't come in under budget. I want to be able to take advantage of a sale price whenever it becomes available. I am not a big shopper per se. I spend more for clothes now that I can buy them on-line than I ever did when I would have had to go into a store to look at them.

That is the reason that using a credit card isn't a problem for me. I am very disciplined and it doesn't matter that my credit line is high, I would never buy something on a whim just because I had the credit.

My savings account has increased considerably since DH passed away. That makes me feel good that I am saving more than I am spending. I have friends that spend every cent of their income when they receive it monthly, just because they have it. I guess it has just become a way of life for me and my goal is to live comfortably on my monthly income. It's absolutely the best feeling in the world to not owe anyone a penny, I feel very blessed.
rinty

Post by rinty »

Littlemiss I do find your posts inspiring, thank you.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

rinty wrote:Littlemiss I do find your posts inspiring, thank you.
Thank you Rinty, we are a mutual admiration society. I love your post and hope that you and your family have a wonderful holiday season. I would love to see all your little "vignettes" that you do in your home during the seasons. I've learned a lot from reading your post and you are a very strong lady.