Do you find yourself "compensating" for a planned no-spend?

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Do you find yourself "compensating" for a planned no-spend?

Post by SandiSAHM »

Do you ever find yourself over buying just before going into a planned no-spend time?

We have a visitor here for another week and after she leaves I'm hoping to go without buying anything other than eggs, milks (soy, almond/coconut), and to clean out the pantry and freezer otherwise, from 11/2 to just before Thanksgiving.

So what did I do? I over shopped! Almost like I fear running out of something in those mere 22 days.

I'm planning a total no-spend except for gas & essential groceries all of January and I'm going to control the end of December's spending by being out of town. Can't spend ahead if I'm not home. :)
blondeinbuffalo

Re: Do you find yourself "compensating" for a planned no-spend?

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

I tend to do the same thing! Just a long as you are getting bargains and all is needed, eventually it will be used up. I do monthly, quarterly and then annual budgets. Since we are in the last quarter and my budget is tight I will be cutting back these last three months. I plan a no spend month in January to get things kicked off. my christmas budget will be my bonus check, if I get one?!

Since being on the forum I have stepped up my game with getting those bargains, making things last longer and delaying purchases to make it all work. thanks to all! cj
lennon05

Post by lennon05 »

I don't do no spend days or time periods. I do low spend instead. I simply try to buy what we need and sometimes what we want at the lowest possible price. As a result I have a decent stockpile and a gift closet full of gifts. I have completed nearly all of my Christmas shopping and have most of everything for my two grandson's birthdays early next year. I find that this system works for us. I feel prepared and less pressured than to try to reach no spend goals.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I focus more on budget. At the beginning of the month, I lay out planned spending by category and see the total. As the month goes on, I may adjust by category but try to stick to the total $$$.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I don't find myself compensating for a planned no spend period. I don't do a budget per say. I feel it would prevent me from taking advantage of sales. I am bad about finding a reason to go out every day, so no spend is good for me, but it is different than a no spend period. I just do a no spend a day at a time. Saves gas and helps me focus on getting things done here.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Nope, I plan my spend days in advance. I know when my bills need to be paid, I know when we get our allowances, or when I go shopping, or when we use the church envelopes.

I don't have no spend periods. I just have no spend days. These are days where I do not spend any money. Sometimes crazy things happen and I don't meet my goal, but any day I do not spend is a good thing.

I used to spend a great deal, shopping almost became a hobby and that was not a good thing.

I control my spending and the basic household expenses, I do not control Hubby's spending, which at times can be a bit crazy.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/