Devoring December Use It up and Recycle Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: Devoring December Use It up and Recycle Challenge

Post by Jackielou »

Used up all the spaghetti and meat sauce (thanks for the tip JC).

Used up all the salad.

Used up a roll of paper towels. Since I started watching when I use them they last a great deal longer now.

Used up a box of kleenix.

Used up two skeins of yarn over the past few days and have almost used up the third skein.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Been using up leftovers; either incorporating them into other dishes, or serving them with (a different) dinner.
Also been trying to re-use aluminum foil when I can ... figure something that's just covered a pan can be used again ... and again if it's not too beat up ;)

Also doing some mending/clothing repairs. Used some leftover fleece to patch a small hole in my down coat's sleeve (same color, and I needed something that wouldn't unravel). Used some more to replace the worn-out elbow sections of one of DH's fleece pajama tops.
11cats2beagles

Post by 11cats2beagles »

Using gift wrap from last year. Using pine cones, twigs, extra holiday decorations, etc., and other free objects instead of bows. Making gift tags by recycling old Christmas cards and an old file folder. Wrapped two gifts in scraps of material not big enough to do anything else with.

Noticed while walking the dog this morning that one of my winter boots has a very tiny leak. I could not find the source of it - yet - so in went two bread bags as soon as I got home. Takes me right back to my childhood, lol.

Did a couple of minor sewing repairs on a sweater and pair of pants for S.O.

S.O. prepared too many lasagna components so two small pans of "lasagna roll-ups" have been put up in the freezer for future use. I also froze half of the lasagna he made for us as I know we wouldn't eat it up this week. Used the last of the extra meat sauce with spaghetti for the kids for supper tonight. The kids had the last two tangerines with their supper.

Made banana bread this morning using two brown bananas. The recipe called for three but I had two. It works.

I'm keeping a can of meat fat in the frige and I warm up a couple tablespoons of it and mix with the food for my outside cats every day. The stray cats get some too.

S.O. has a nice stash of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, mouthwash, etc. from his business travels. I have them all in a ziplock bag stashed in the pantry. We will use them up!

An old flashlight broke beyond repair and the kiddos are having a ball with the parts from it. Strange - but more power to them - and when they are done being entertained by broken flashlight parts, I can just toss them.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Used up some wrapping paper from other years.

Used up the leftover roast beef.

Used up the roasted veggies.

Used up three balls of yarn.

Used up some fabric from my stash.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Made ham fried rice for dinner using leftovers from a couple of meals. Also used up a travel size shampoo.
rinty

Post by rinty »

All the wrapping paper ( and we use a ton ) is from previous years. I get those rolls from COSTCO and 50 yards of wired ribbon every 3 years or so. I USED UP the kids one, as we have 8 little ones to wrap for.

USING UP all the veg in various ways.

USED UP 2 perfumes, I have been wearing it daily, makes me feel good. Both were gifts.....Poison and Gucci Guilty. Fingers crossed for some perfume from family at Christmas ?

USING UP dregs of cleaning fluids and washing liquids....I dilute 50/50 anyway, the dilute still further if its delicates for handwashing.

USED UP bits of pastry leftover from a batch of mince pies to make cheese straws, ( just a sprinkle of cheddar and parmesan and some paprika/Italian seasoning