February Less Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

February Less Spend Challenge

Post by Jackielou »

I am going to try something new and add a less spend challenge to the list of challenges.

What I am going to challenge myself to do is lower the spending in the budget. I want to come in lower this month in all categories (except one due to the stock up trip). If anyone cares to join in they are more than welcome.

I plan on posting what I am doing to lower those bills as well.

Today since it is supposed to be bright and sunny I am opening all the blinds and curtains to take advantage of the heat and light the sun throws off. This keeps the furnace from running continually. By doing this I hope to lower both the gas and electric bills.

At night I am putting a draft dodger in front of my doors to keep the wind from getting under them, thus keeping the hallway warmer and the little baseboard heaters from running all the time. Once again saving on electricity.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Re: February Less Spend Challenge

Post by Dgflorida »

I like this challenge too. I think you want to show what one or more things you will do to lower spending that day. Great idea. Today, I am opening the windows too. I hope a warm breeze will warm up the house a bit.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I have all blinds opened for both light and sun to stream in. No lights needing to be on, except in basement (where my 3 sick littles are playing).

I have built a fire in my woodstove today to keep furnace from running (thereby using gas & electricity).

My sick littles are playing games, thus also saving on the electricity (I'm a mean Mama, no TV just because you are home from school sick).

When I wash laundry today, it'll be washed in cold water and with 2 tsp Norwex laundry detergent (I can make a 1 kilogram bag last for 3-5 months).
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I'm using coupons and gift cards to stretch grocery budget farther.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Continuing with the two items I started the month with.

I am working on trying to come up with ideas on how to get our water/recycle/garbage pickup bill lowered. This is going to be a tough one but since the bill is going up 5% I would like to cut down by about the same amount.

So far I have cut down washing dishes to twice a day, turning off water while I soap my hands, and now thinking if there is anyway to cut down the water used in flushing the toilet (we already have a low water usage toilet).
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Used $11.25 in coupon and GC at CVS today on cereal and tea bags, so paid $1.03 out of pocket.