Marching on March Use It Up and Recycle Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
gaylejackson2

Re: Marching on March Use It Up and Recycle Challenge

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Dd4 used the last of the marshmallow stars cereal at breakfast, and she & dd6 ate their leftover ham sandwiches from yesterday for lunch. I ate the leftover bbq spareribs (mainly fat) with some brown rice.

Ds14 ate the last of a loaf of GF bread with the last of a package of lunch meat.

I used up the rest of a pkg of spaghetti noodles, and added a 2nd full pkg for dinner. Also a pkg of frozen burger, 1 quart of tomatoes, the last 2 cans of diced tomatoes (from an opened case), 2 cans of mushrooms, and spices were used to make spaghetti sauce. The open jug of milk was emptied, and a new one opened (used about half).
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

I don't usually get in on this challenge, but with all the cooking today I am excited about what I finished using:

Used the last Cascade that was in a box as I did two loads of dishes during my cooking marathon today.

Used the last 1/2 head of cabbage to make slaw.

Used the last of the Hellmans Mayo that I bought because it was on sale and someone was talking about how good it was. I'm so glad it's gone because I didn't like the taste of it. I'm a Kraft Mayo fan and I can very definitely tell the difference in the taste, If I hadn't used it I wouldn't have used it in the Potato Salad that I will make on Tuesday to go with grilled hamburgers for my Wednesday's meal. I had an extra jar of Kraft in the pantry.

Made brownies and used up the remainder of a bottle of vegetable oil, 2/3 cup. I am using olive oil almost exclusive now, so glad that is finished.

I used all the chopped onions that I had in the refrigerator for taco meat, spaghetti sauce and meat loaf. Also used the remainder of diced green peppers for my spaghetti sauce.

I save all my cracker crumbs and broken crackers in a container and had enough for the cup I needed for the meatloaf. Threw them in my Ninja Blender and I tasted a pinch and all the combo's tasted good together. There were ritz, regular crackers, Focaccia Rosemary & Olive Oil, and Triscuits.

Used the last little bit of vanilla flavoring in a bottle for the brownies, had to open a new one and used the last of my dried minced onions in the taco meat.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

littlemiss63 wrote:Made brownies and used up the remainder of a bottle of vegetable oil, 2/3 cup. I am using olive oil almost exclusive now, so glad that is finished.
Do you have a brownie recipe that uses oil? Will you share it please? Mine calls for melted butter.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

One of my use it up projects ...
DH baked off 4 huge split chicken breasts ... one of them (cut in half) served both of us for one meal. So, for the other 3 ...
Today's dinner was pulled chicken heated up in BBQ sauce.
Tomorrow's dinner will be an "inside-out" chicken cordon bleu. (Got the idea from Lil over at Creative Savv.com.) That might use the remaining two breasts, if not, I need another idea :D
Bones go into the freezer to make broth. The scraps of meat are being put aside so I can make chicken noodle soup.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Used up two small orphan balls of leftover yarn.

Used up the leftover sausage and pasta.

Used up a loaf of bread (the tiny piece leftover is out drying and will be made into bread crumbs).
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Used up the last of the Swiss cheese ...

My other big use-it-up project:
I had a pile of DH's flannel PJs and a shirt or two that had worn out past the point of mending. So I've been "desconstructing" them.
Buttons are saved; the worn parts go to the rag box or in the trash; the odd-size pieces go to my rug projects, or to use for mending; and any usable material goes into my fabric cabinet.