April Use It Up/Recycle Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: April Use It Up/Recycle Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

littlemiss63 wrote:Janet, yes instead of chick peas in your hummus recipe substitute black beans. I like red meat, don't know if I could ever become strictly vegetarian. I love to keep a healthy mix between the meat and vegetables and something in my blood work caused him to think I needed less meat. I alternate between garlic hummus, eggplant, red pepper and the black bean.
Yum on the varieties of hummus.. I have to watch my beans as well as my carbs for two different problems. one is kidney problem the other diabetes.. It is really hard for me find a balance between everything. Enjoy your hummus and thanks for the ideas. I usually make my hummus with dried chickpeas.. I do love the taste so much better than canned but I do cheat sometimes when I am not feeling up to too much work. Although the beans are not hard to cook just take some planning ahead.

Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

alliesmama4 wrote:
littlemiss63 wrote:Janet, yes instead of chick peas in your hummus recipe substitute black beans. I like red meat, don't know if I could ever become strictly vegetarian. I love to keep a healthy mix between the meat and vegetables and something in my blood work caused him to think I needed less meat. I alternate between garlic hummus, eggplant, red pepper and the black bean.
Yum on the varieties of hummus.. I have to watch my beans as well as my carbs for two different problems. one is kidney problem the other diabetes.. It is really hard for me find a balance between everything. Enjoy your hummus and thanks for the ideas. I usually make my hummus with dried chickpeas.. I do love the taste so much better than canned but I do cheat sometimes when I am not feeling up to too much work. Although the beans are not hard to cook just take some planning ahead.

Janet Alliesmama
Janet, I am having some kidney issues too, and that is the reason for low sodium. I have it under control right now, but anywhere I can cut back I do it. I use a little salt in things like potatoes, but don't add any additional salt from a shaker after the meal is prepared. This was my first time to use dried chickpeas and I think I'm going to like the taste once I get use to it. I don't add any salt at all to my hummus when making and I didn't add any to the chickpeas as I was cooking them, so sodium should be really low. I looked at the black bean can and it was like 370 MG of sodium, so I will go to dried black beans now as well. It's just so convenient to open a can, but with the huge difference in sodium in the can vs dried it will be worth it health wise for the little inconvenience.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Used up the leftover perogies for my lunch.

Finished another ball of sock yarn. Almost finished the second ball of this colour.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

littlemiss63 wrote:
alliesmama4 wrote:

Janet Alliesmama
Janet, I am having some kidney issues too, and that is the reason for low sodium. I have it under control right now, but anywhere I can cut back I do it. I use a little salt in things like potatoes, but don't add any additional salt from a shaker after the meal is prepared. This was my first time to use dried chickpeas and I think I'm going to like the taste once I get use to it. I don't add any salt at all to my hummus when making and I didn't add any to the chickpeas as I was cooking them, so sodium should be really low. I looked at the black bean can and it was like 370 MG of sodium, so I will go to dried black beans now as well. It's just so convenient to open a can, but with the huge difference in sodium in the can vs dried it will be worth it health wise for the little inconvenience.
You are right about the sodium in canned beans.. I told you about seeing a nutritiousness and she told me that I had to add salt to my diet..She said she has never had to do that before. You can go to far off base trying to get the right foods..People just do not understand that food is for health as much as it is to give us pleasure and keep out bodies going strong..My urologist and my medical Dr had me on a horrible diet.. Those were the words of the dietitian at the hospital. I was only allowed 2 oz of meat a day and it was not until I stopped eating it and became a vegetarian on my own that I started to have normal test.. Now they want me to eat meat more and that scares the socks off of me but so far things seem to be ok..Good luck in your health quest.. They say whole foods are the best but we are so addicted to the nice little treats that we have become addicted to it is is hard..Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Used up the ball of sock yarn.

Used up the stuffing, potatoes, and gravy from our Easter meal.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Used up the leftover soup for my lunch today.

Hubby used up a loaf of bread making his lunch.

Used up a bar of bath soap (Hubby's special soap, I use shower gel).

Still working on the hand lotion, and various other personal care products.
Jackie