October Use It Up and Recycle Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: October Use It Up and Recycle Challenge

Post by Jackielou »

Used up the last of the lettuce, a cucumber, the green onions, the radishes, and the cherry tomatoes making a salad for supper.

Used up a loaf of bread making stuffing for supper along with an onion from the garden.

Used up all the drippings from our turkey making gravy, which in turn was used up at supper.

Jackie
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

Bought a large bag of dried chick peas this summer, soaked some and cooked them, then reserved some for salads and also made hummus. had to dust off the food processor as I rarely use it!. turned out pretty good! much cheaper than buying prepared hummus and probably healthier too as I can control the salt and additives! cj
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

blondeinbuffalo wrote:much cheaper than buying prepared hummus and probably healthier too as I can control the salt and additives! cj
We make our own hummus, too, though we usually used canned chickpeas. Definitely cheaper than buying the prepared kind.
tammy65

Post by tammy65 »

Used up the last of a package of black forest ham and also the last of the package of hoagie buns tonight for supper. Recycled 2 big boxes from their original purpose to something more useful--one box was from a huge camcorder that we bought in 1990 and had stored in the basement and the other box was a big box that my purchases were packed in at the salvage store. The boxes new purpose was to hold the last of the potatoes that we finished digging this evening.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I used up the last of a jug of laundry detergent today. I rinsed and rinsed until all the detergent was out of it so we could recycle the jug. (The city wants no residue left on anything that's recycled.)

Also used up the last of a jar of dried thyme making bread, some cooked ground sausage from the freezer making chili, and a leftover half a stick of butter making mac & cheese.

In terms of mending and making do, I also hand-sewed several tears in our removable mattress pad. The top is made out of a nice heavy cotton, but the sides are this weird stretchy stuff that tears easily. It looks much nicer now.
Mackie
11cats2beagles

Post by 11cats2beagles »

LONG story short...between S.O. and his mom, they had more than a dozen large Rubbermaid totes with "stuff" stored in them. The "stuff" is mostly history...either sold at our yard sale or donated or put to use in the house.

i used 8 of the totes (with permission) to make shelters for my outdoor cats. You cut a round hole in the tote, then cut a round hole in a Styrofoam cooler. The cooler goes inside the tote. The gaps get stuffed with straw. The lid goes on the cooler, then the tote's lid goes on.

There were only 3 Styrofoam coolers on hand (don't ask me why, i don't know!) so I substituted sturdy cardboard boxes in 5 of the totes. The cats already have access to an outbuilding so with the shelters inside that they are in even better shape. i will (sadly) admit that last winter, having just moved and all, they only had cardboard boxes turned upside down with straw in them and I felt so bad about it.

Anyhoo...I guess my long story short got long...but I think a good use of those dang totes that would have otherwise been hauled off to the thrift store's donation center. My only cost to make them all was $10 for two bales of straw (used one bale, extra on hand).