October Use It Up and Recycle Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

October Use It Up and Recycle Challenge

Post by Jackielou »

Since I will be tightening the frugal belt this month, it is more important than ever to recycle and use up. Going to shop at home first this month and make sure I squeeze the last dollops from everything I possibly can.

Anyone care to join in?
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
dlrcpa

Re: October Use It Up and Recycle Challenge

Post by dlrcpa »

My challenge will be to squeeze every last vegetable I can from the garden. There is still chard and sorrel to be harvested.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

I am in Jackie. I can't do the no spend - too many things coming up this month. But I really want to fight waste every day.
AuntBridget

Post by AuntBridget »

I want to participate in this challenge as well.....I actually seem to do better with this one.

Step one....tomorrow I am going to clean out the fridge, want to actually wash the shelves and drawers. While I am doing this I am going to in inventory what I have in there.

Step two....make up menus around the contents of my fridge, freezers,and pantry
and make a shopping list of items I need to take the contents to the next level and create meals with them.

And of course with the cooler temps, creating casseroles and soups hold so much more appeal and are a great way of using up bits and dabs. Just this last week, I made cheeseburger chowder...rinsing out a ketchup and mustard bottle to add to the flavor of the soup.
Aunt Bridget
snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

I can try this too!

So to start me off, DH and I had a little bit of the marinara sauce that was in the fridge leftover. DH finished up the last of the cheese, and I snacked on protein heavy foods. Since becoming pregnant I eat like crazy, I feel like I am always hungry especially for meat, so I doubt we will be wasting food. Took some steaks out to dethaw that I got on sale and used some marinade we had in the cabinet. Planning to trying to read some of the books I have in the house for entertainment.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

I'm in again ...

We've done really well in using up leftovers (though I did have to throw out some cantaloupe we didn't eat.)
DH used a some leftover tomato sauce as the base for some pasta sauce. I used some older apples to make applesauce.
I've been using some of the canned veggies in the pantry for recipes, rather than the frozen. Need to keep the stock rotated ;)
Used a couple of coffee can lids to make templates for my quilt squares.