Awesome August use it up challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Awesome August use it up challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

I finally made my spinach quiche today but used a lot of the fresh spinach to make a salad last night. I was out of lettuce so I used the spinach. Added a fresh tomato from my garden and used the last of my salad dressing from a restaurant. Since the cooked spinach was a bit skimpy I added a half jar of chopped mushrooms and more onions to the quiche filling.

Used the last of very well rinsed laundry determent bottle to wash my bras and my handkerchiefs. Amazing how much suds you can get out of what appears to be an empty bottle when you allow water to run over the rim and well of the opening of the bottle while filling the washing machine with water, Then put more water in and shake it up to get the last little dibs and dabs. I bought about a years supply of laundry detergent earlier this year at K-Mart. It cost only 1.99 for each bottle and I am pretty sure it will last me until the end of the year. K-Mart has closed in our area...bummer. I rarely shopped there.. The only time was when they would send me an e-mail that this particular detergent was on sale. Maybe that is why they went out of business? Maybe others just cherry picked the sales like I did.. Janet alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

I am willingly helping both my boss and my neighbor use up extra produce from their gardens. I'm eating a lot of cucumbers and tomatoes and have several squash and zucchini that need to be preserved/eaten.

I used up the rest of a packet of yeast tonight making a pizza. I normally make my pizza crust with no yeast but the packet had been opened and I wanted to use up what was in there - probably about a teaspoon full or so.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

2dogs+someCats wrote:I am willingly helping both my boss and my neighbor use up extra produce from their gardens. I'm eating a lot of cucumbers and tomatoes and have several squash and zucchini that need to be preserved/eaten.

I used up the rest of a packet of yeast tonight making a pizza. I normally make my pizza crust with no yeast but the packet had been opened and I wanted to use up what was in there - probably about a teaspoon full or so.
Sheila not sure if you would be interested but I use cooked zucchini in place of the noodles in my lasagna and Mac and cheese. I know you do not have to watch your carbs or gluten but they do make for a different way to use up veggies for more of a entree instead of a side. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

alliesmama4 wrote:
2dogs+someCats wrote:I am willingly helping both my boss and my neighbor use up extra produce from their gardens. I'm eating a lot of cucumbers and tomatoes and have several squash and zucchini that need to be preserved/eaten.

Sheila not sure if you would be interested but I use cooked zucchini in place of the noodles in my lasagna and Mac and cheese. I know you do not have to watch your carbs or gluten but they do make for a different way to use up veggies for more of a entree instead of a side. Janet Alliesmama
Thanks for the tip Janet! That is "all the rage" with some of the girls at work who are low carb. I may give it a try. I've substituted cauliflower for past before with yummy results.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

My darling boss makes the most delicious vegetable strata with layers of sliced zucchini, eggplant, potato, and bell peppers. Instead of meat, she puts seasoned breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese between the layers, along with tomato sauce. It's a great way to use up what is plentiful in the garden now.
Mackie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote:My darling boss makes the most delicious vegetable strata with layers of sliced zucchini, eggplant, potato, and bell peppers. Instead of meat, she puts seasoned breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese between the layers, along with tomato sauce. It's a great way to use up what is plentiful in the garden now.
Sounds really yummy. I think this time of year is the best time of year with all of the garden produce coming in to abundance.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama