Suddenly September saving by using it up.

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
2dogs+someCats

Re: Suddenly September saving by using it up.

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

It is getting slim pickings around here but I haven't had the time to organize a grocery list, coupons, sale flyers, etc. I am still making do but need to get to the grocery in the next couple days.

This is good news to me though - it means nothing has been wasted, I know exactly what I have/don't have, etc.

Tonight I made another one of my "no cheese pizzas" - used a lot of sauce and piled it high with broccoli, cabbage, and (free to me) green peppers from the neighbor's garden. It was very good and I have some left for tomorrow's lunch.

Breakfasts are not problem, I have tons of oatmeal and dried fruit and almond milk.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

We've been having a problem with food waste for a while: DH has been weird about his eating since he had a stent put in his heart in November, but it looks like maybe nothing went to waste this week.

We put our young cat on a diet -- she weighs in at a portly 13.8 pounds! -- and not a scrap of cat food is being wasted. She gets such small portions that she Hoovers them up immediately. Older cat is not too happy with this as he's a leisurely eater, but I slip him a few extra treats that he eats right away.
Mackie
lennon05

Post by lennon05 »

I used up two open packs of spaghetti noodles making dinner tonight. I also cut a cucumber that needed to be eaten.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Very little shopping this month. Ate all the chicken in the freezer prior to Irma's arrival. The 5lb roll of ground beef stayed frozen and we never lost power. There were no stores open for a week and when they opened up, they had very little. So by the time stores had supplies, the freezer was almost empty. Since going low carb for hubs diabetes, there is considerably less to buy. And carbs I bought before are being eaten up slowly. I do not spend money on bread or pasta in any form including breaded meat or fish. No sugar based products either. No fruit or starchy root vegetables either, bumps his sugar. A lot of money not spent. Wow. Never realized how much I wasted on carbohydrate foods.
Momof2

Post by Momof2 »

It has been a busy few days, but we managed to have all meals from home, including packed lunches. I did throw out a serving of mashed potatoes- did not have the opportunity to use them in something or eat the rest of them. Tonight we are having chili and using the beans we have had for a couple of meals in it. I have some tortilla chips that need using, so will make guacamole (since I have an avocado that also needs using). To round out the meal, we will have cornbread.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Used up 2 bottles of dish soap by adding the small amount in each to another bottle. I then added a bit of water to the bottles and used the soapy water to wash my hands several times. Bottles are empty, hands cleaner. Win-win.