Anyone keep up with cost of gift wrap?

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
delighted99

Anyone keep up with cost of gift wrap?

Post by delighted99 »

I recall some of you keeping price books. Could someone quote me a low price on holiday gift wrap (I know its cheaper after Christmas but I'm not so prepared this year)? Birthday gift wrap?

Here in the US, it looks typical to go by price per square foot. So a quote in those units would help.
2dogs+someCats

Re: Anyone keep up with cost of gift wrap?

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Oh delighted, I wish I knew - it is something I don't track because I don't normally buy it. If I absolutely have to purchase it I will go to Dollar Tree and pay a buck.

That being said, I am "fussy" about my Christmas wrapping paper - I prefer solid colors or prints that are simple and not too fussy or busy. They types I like seem to be harder to find at Dollar Tree and more expensive in other stores.

I also shamelessly recycle gift wrap and have been known to iron the wrinkles out of used paper and fold or roll it up to be used the next year.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

Recycling gift wrap is great when you can pull it off! I didn't know you can iron it without setting it on fire. lol. I could see the appeal of going to Dollar Tree to buy the gift wrap. Do you happen to know how many square feet they sell you for that $1?

I did some research online and I'm thinking 6-8 cents per sq. ft was a reasonable price. I was checking on walmart.com. If anyone finds better, let me know.

2dogs+someCats wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:25 pm Oh delighted, I wish I knew - it is something I don't track because I don't normally buy it. If I absolutely have to purchase it I will go to Dollar Tree and pay a buck.

That being said, I am "fussy" about my Christmas wrapping paper - I prefer solid colors or prints that are simple and not too fussy or busy. They types I like seem to be harder to find at Dollar Tree and more expensive in other stores.

I also shamelessly recycle gift wrap and have been known to iron the wrinkles out of used paper and fold or roll it up to be used the next year.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

delighted99 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:32 am I recall some of you keeping price books. Could someone quote me a low price on holiday gift wrap (I know its cheaper after Christmas but I'm not so prepared this year)? Birthday gift wrap?

Here in the US, it looks typical to go by price per square foot. So a quote in those units would help.
Last year I saw gift/Christmas wrap for sale at $3.99 to $8.99 a roll. I hope to not buy gift wrap for a very long time, as I bought a bunch when Kmart was going out of business. I prefer to pay no more than $2 a roll, but am not sure on the sq footage, I'd have to go look at a roll downstairs in my craft room.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

Ah Kmart. You were perhaps lucky to have one as long as you did. I don't think I've set foot in one since the 90s.

I ended up calculating cost per square footage because I'm convinced some stores in my area are selling me too little square footage for the money! Kind of in the same vein of when we were discussing shrinking food container sizes..

gaylejackson2 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:07 pm
delighted99 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:32 am I recall some of you keeping price books. Could someone quote me a low price on holiday gift wrap (I know its cheaper after Christmas but I'm not so prepared this year)? Birthday gift wrap?

Last year I saw gift/Christmas wrap for sale at $3.99 to $8.99 a roll. I hope to not buy gift wrap for a very long time, as I bought a bunch when Kmart was going out of business. I prefer to pay no more than $2 a roll, but am not sure on the sq footage, I'd have to go look at a roll downstairs in my craft room.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

I was at a Walgreens today and they had a sale on holiday gift wrap! $3.99 for 80 sq. ft. That's about 5 cents per sq. ft!!