No Spending for a Year?

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: No Spending for a Year?

Post by SandiSAHM »

Tracking for a year, cumulative. Wow. I'm going to need a cheat function, LOL. Maybe I'll just put everything on the calendar and tally year-to-date as the months pass.

I can't believe we're discussing 2018! Time flies at warp speed.
RedRobin

Post by RedRobin »

I was thinking that a good way to start would be to inventory what I have on hand. Then I realized I am not even close to being that organized. So, I'm winging it.
I have food in the pantry and freezer, enough clothing, some yarn and thread for crafting, DH is up to date on his meds, more than 3/4 of a tank of gas, and both my car and DH s truck have been serviced and repaired. DH's potential spending and house repairs are the wild cards.
Have to put my thinking cap on.
Good luck to all of us.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I have gone over my 2018 budget again! I really need to cut my expenses even more due to unexpected changes in Medicare premiums, household repairs/needs and car repairs.
1. I am going to drop my landline long distance but have to keep my landline due to my medical alert button.

2. I am putting my TV satellite on pause for a couple of months. That will save me 52.00 a month. I would cancel it but I live in a rural area, do not get out much and it really is my only form of entertainment. I do have a small TV in my bedroom that I can still receive local TV stations on with a air antennae.

3. My goal is to use what food I currently have and supplement foods bought only with money eared by doing surveys.. I have done this in the past but not for a whole year

4. I am not going to use my fireplace since this time of year the warm air is sucked out of the house through the chimney. I have put window shrink plastic over the fireplace opening. It is amazing to see the plastic go in and out depending on which way the wind is blowing. You do not realize that until you close it off.

5.I unplug things that have phantom power ie TV, microwave, toaster oven, washing machine. Was doing dryer but it is too hard to do.

6. .When I do use the dryer only use for 10 min to sort of soften things before hanging them on drying racks or on hangers. Clothing is put on hangers and allowed to finish drying hanging on shower rods. In warmer weather I have 2 clothes line in the garage.

7. instead of taking doggie nephew to groomers have priced out shampoo for him and will bath him at home more often. He will need to go for fur trim later on. Have toe nails clippers here at home.

These are a few of things I am planning on doing in 2018 and some things I have already been doing.

Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Do any of you ladies have any idea of what kind of format we should use for this challenge ie monthly statements or just post when we feel like it? Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Hi Janet and everyone else,

I'm afraid I won't be joining you - in fact dh and I will probably be spending more money than usual. We plan to travel while our health permits and I now have the freedom to go at any time since I have retired. Guess I feel that is my reward after so many years of hard work!

But I will continue to check out any free community events to find interesting things to do and perhaps expand my network of friends.

Like Clemencia, I will follow this thread with great interest and wish you all the best of luck!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Mrscreative wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:13 pm Hi Janet and everyone else,

I'm afraid I won't be joining you - in fact dh and I will probably be spending more money than usual. We plan to travel while our health permits and I now have the freedom to go at any time since I have retired. Guess I feel that is my reward after so many years of hard work!

But I will continue to check out any free community events to find interesting things to do and perhaps expand my network of friends.

Like Clemencia, I will follow this thread with great interest and wish you all the best of luck!
Mrs Creative.. go and enjoy your retirement. You have earned the right to do what you want..When I was 21 I was told I most likely had 5 years to live.. oops someone made a mistake I am almost 73..lol. I did a lot of traveling when I was younger.. I would love to travel again but age, illness, and finances prevent that so looking forward to hearing about your adventures if you care to share. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama