Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:25 pm Wow Janet, I am glad this company is more understanding. How awful to make anyone feel guilty for needing assistance.
I am glad too.

So how are things going with you. Not sure if I missed a posting but not sure if I have seen anything in a while from you..Have you been busy? Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:52 pm
Momof2 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:25 pm Wow Janet, I am glad this company is more understanding. How awful to make anyone feel guilty for needing assistance.
I am glad too.

So how are things going with you. Not sure if I missed a posting but not sure if I have seen anything in a while from you..Have you been busy? Janet Alliesmama
oops I just saw your message about the wedding..lol.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:22 pm Back from the wedding and it was so beautiful. I am so thrilled my son has found someone that makes him so happy- and someone that he can love and make happy.

Tried to use up as much as possible before leaving, but there were a couple of things that I tossed (vegetables and fruit) as I knew they would be bad when we returned and were not anything we really would take with us. Also had to toss a few more things that went bad while we were gone (a few more fruits and vegetables along with half a gallon of milk). Now that we are back and have had a couple of days to rest (not to mention getting caught up on things at work), it is back to planning meals, eating from home (it was nice to eat out or the dinners associated with the wedding), using up items instead of tossing them, and sticking to a grocery budget. I cannot complain about the budget, we stayed about $450.00 under what I budgeted for the event/trip.
I did go to the grocery store earlier in the week to grab a few things to hold us until I could plan out our meals, but I cannot find the receipt or remember the total spent- bummer. I guess I will just consider it part of my event spending and start tracking the amount from here forward.

It sounds like everyone is doing well with the challenge. Off to make that meal plan and grocery list.
Momof2 So glad that the wedding was lovely and that your son is happy. Also great that you were under budget and still had a good time.. Nice to get away from the daily grind and enjoy some relaxing times to recharge your battery..Good to hear from you.. I missed reading your updates.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Today is Mexican fiesta day. I bought 8 avocados the other day for .39 cents each. I had one yesterday as a snack. Just cut it in half and ate it out of the shell. It is yummy and a healthy snack as is. Some of the avocados are ripe enough to make guacamole so that is what I will be making today. I have fresh cilantro in a bowl of water in the fridge. Have had it for quite some time and have used it to add flavor to my Thai yellow curry, Tikka masala chicken, and now guacamole. Amazing how long it lasts in the water. I use a pair of scissors to snip off what I need. Some of my recipes do not require a whole bunch and it tends to go bad quickly is you do not use it right away. If brought home and put in the fridge in the veggie crisper or on a shelf in the fridge it would have turned in to yuck by now. I still have a nice healthy bunch in the fridge. Also have masa harina and will be making corn tortillas from scratch.I have thawed out the last of my free chicken thighs (2). They are meaty and I will cook them in water and then save the cooking water, bones, and skin to make chicken broth.. They will go in a container in the freezer with other saved bones etc. I plan on making enchiladas with the chicken and homemade tortillas. Also will be making picante sauce.. .

I have been receiving my bills for the month of May and have been able to lower the amount spent in some area for a grand total of $17.87. That money will go in my slush fund for the month and will most likely be what I use to buy groceries and household needs. The grocery money for May will go towards buying one apple tree and the veggie plants for my earth boxes on the deck. I wanted to buy several almond trees but they are sold out and will not be available until Fall but I am on the wait list for them.. Wish I had planted them last year but ran out of money.. It takes 2 to 4 years for them to produce nuts.. Oh well the time will fly by before we know it.Last night I hydrated 4 cups of dehydrated diced apple. They were from my emergency supplies.. I need to use things up since they have been in storage for a number of years and will gradually restock as money allows.. Not sure yet what I will make with them.. Might just cook them with some cinnamon and a bit of sugar and use as a snack or side dish.. Also a small apple crumble using almond flour.

It is 42 F with a wind chill of 34 F and it is 62 in the house. I refuse to turn the thermostat up on my furnace since it is the end of April.. so I have all of the drapes, curtains, and blinds open on the east side of the house to get as much sun in to take the chill off. Well I am off to start my marathon cooking.. It will take me all day since I have to take frequent breaks.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2

Post by Momof2 »

Janet- I am at a busy time. The school year is almost over, and there seems to be a never ending list of things that must be done.

I love avocadoes, especially when they are made into guacamole. I am trying your tip for the cilantro. I picked some up on my spur of the moment, no list trip and have not used it. I have not made enchiladas in a while and really like them- maybe they should go on my menu plan soon. .

I have used hydrated apples (and other fruit) in homemade muffins, quick breads, and oatmeal. I was thinking this morning on my way to work that I need to check on hurricane items and make a list to start picking up a few items including gallons of water just in case. I love marathon cooking and even tried the freezer meals for a month idea before. I loved the planning, prepping, and cooking, but those meals lasted over 6 months because I love to cook and was not happy with not being able to.

Well, I did manage to go to the grocery store and spent $86 and change. That along with my by the seat of my pants shopping which I still cannot find the receipt for should last at least 2 to 3 weeks and keep me near budget.

Within the last few days Rm and I have used up the rest of one rotisserie chicken and half of another (I put the other half in the freezer), a partial container of spring salad greens, a partial container of cherry tomatoes and part of another container. We used up the pkg. of chicken thighs (cooked on my indoor grill and used in a salad and then leftovers for lunch), ½ of a large cucumber, some mashed potatoes, can of green beans (one meal was rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans), the cake I made for my birthday, some strawberries, and some walnuts (had a large salad with the chicken, salad greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, and walnuts a couple of nights). There were a few other things, but I cannot think of what they were. We also used up pizza ingredients to make a pizza.

Tonight we are having cheese tortellini with bottled sauce, garlic buns (made out of hamburger buns), and steamed broccoli. I hope to check in more often now that the wedding is over and work is winding down.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:45 pm Janet- I am at a busy time. The school year is almost over, and there seems to be a never ending list of things that must be done.

I love avocadoes, especially when they are made into guacamole. I am trying your tip for the cilantro. I picked some up on my spur of the moment, no list trip and have not used it. I have not made enchiladas in a while and really like them- maybe they should go on my menu plan soon. .

I have used hydrated apples (and other fruit) in homemade muffins, quick breads, and oatmeal. I was thinking this morning on my way to work that I need to check on hurricane items and make a list to start picking up a few items including gallons of water just in case. I love marathon cooking and even tried the freezer meals for a month idea before. I loved the planning, prepping, and cooking, but those meals lasted over 6 months because I love to cook and was not happy with not being able to.

Well, I did manage to go to the grocery store and spent $86 and change. That along with my by the seat of my pants shopping which I still cannot find the receipt for should last at least 2 to 3 weeks and keep me near budget.

Within the last few days Rm and I have used up the rest of one rotisserie chicken and half of another (I put the other half in the freezer), a partial container of spring salad greens, a partial container of cherry tomatoes and part of another container. We used up the pkg. of chicken thighs (cooked on my indoor grill and used in a salad and then leftovers for lunch), ½ of a large cucumber, some mashed potatoes, can of green beans (one meal was rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans), the cake I made for my birthday, some strawberries, and some walnuts (had a large salad with the chicken, salad greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, and walnuts a couple of nights). There were a few other things, but I cannot think of what they were. We also used up pizza ingredients to make a pizza.

Tonight we are having cheese tortellini with bottled sauce, garlic buns (made out of hamburger buns), and steamed broccoli. I hope to check in more often now that the wedding is over and work is winding down.
Momof2I love to hear how you use up food and also what you are making.. I like to cook too but not sure I could cook for myself and someone else on a daily basis. I did when my husband was here but it was a chore.. I do not know how people do it that have a family and work.I am cooking from scratch and it seems all I do is cook and do dishes before the next meal of cook and do dishes...lol. .

Keep up the good work and let me know what you are doing when time allows..

I store water in my basement too due to storm situations that have hit our area over the years.There were several times the main water plant was hit by flooding and they were unable to pump water although the area where I live does have an alternate water source in case that happens it still takes them time to switch over. Also there have been unexpected times when the water was not safe to drink and by the time you hear about it and drive in to town the water is almost all gone on the shelves. We have tornadoes here but they are hit and miss and over and done with before you know what has happened. I had a storm shelter built in my basement under the stairs to the basement..I do not know if I could handle a hurricane with the way you have to board up your house and hope it holds together and then the clean up afterwards.. Good luck with your hurricane season. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama