Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:17 pm

Dinner was a little of this and that and the next thing I knew I had created a lovely skillet meal consisting of shredded cabbage, onions, ground beef, and the last little bit of rice in the fridge. It was a skillet version of stuffed cabbage. What originally was odds and ends made a nice meal and with enough leftovers for 3 to 4 meals depending on how hungry I am.

My aide went shopping for me and the same sized package of chicken that I paid $4.78 for last week was S8.00 and change.. So I was right the package was not marked correctly and I received about 2.5 lbs of chicken for free. The current purchase still saved me about $11.00 so I am all set with chicken for quite a while. Just need to wrap and freeze them.

Waiting for my SS on Nov 3 is driving me nuts.. I will not know ahead of time when they will take the money out of my SS until the day I receive it. The medicare rep said they can only go retroactive one month. So Oct was not paid and they may decide to take that out as well as Nov which will be a big chunk out of my budget around $260.00 or $268.00. Either way that is a big chunk to loose all at once.

Although I have had my ups and downs this month I feel blessed to have what I have and compared to so many others suffering severe loss of home and jobs I have not complaints. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:17 am

alliesmama4 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:25 am
We do have food pantries but I feel that 1. there are more people in need than me. 2. I am a diabetic on a gluten free diet.. I am concerned about getting food I cannot use that could go to others more in need. I will manage ok. I have been able to meet my needs with what I have as well as making use of survey money and gift cards from surveys to fill in with some needs and wants. Janet Alliesmama
I used to work for a foodbank. It is totally ok for you to use one if you need to. It is there to help people get through a rough spot or just get a little boost up. Most people use it for an average of 3 months. You can use it occasionally just to buy a little wiggle room to be ok for awhile. I have used the free produce giveaways at times. I got more than I could use so I shared with people I know who needed it and then prepped and froze enough for a month or two after. It really helped.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:27 pm

RecoveringDreamer wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:17 am
alliesmama4 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:25 am
We do have food pantries but I feel that 1. there are more people in need than me. 2. I am a diabetic on a gluten free diet.. I am concerned about getting food I cannot use that could go to others more in need. I will manage ok. I have been able to meet my needs with what I have as well as making use of survey money and gift cards from surveys to fill in with some needs and wants. Janet Alliesmama
I used to work for a foodbank. It is totally ok for you to use one if you need to. It is there to help people get through a rough spot or just get a little boost up. Most people use it for an average of 3 months. You can use it occasionally just to buy a little wiggle room to be ok for awhile. I have used the free produce giveaways at times. I got more than I could use so I shared with people I know who needed it and then prepped and froze enough for a month or two after. It really helped.
Thank you for your advise.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:28 pm

Finished the last of my skillet stuffed cabbage for lunch. It lasted quite a few meals was filling and easy to make. I am going to make it more often and leave the rice out and it will be low carb. I was busy off and all day doing things around the house so when it came dinner time was not sure what to fix. However I rummaged around in the fridge and found some shredded cheddar cheese that I usually keep to make a quick salad. I was not in the mood to chop lettuce and wanted something more filling. So I used a little bit of mayo and mustard and mixed it in to the cheese and chopped up some pickled jalapeno from the fridge and made a grilled cheese sandwich The bread was actual a gf hamburger bun sliced in to bread slices..$1.08 for 4 buns.. It was really good and a nice change of pace. The tops and bottom of the sliced buns were put in my toaster oven on the rack to dry out to make bread crumbs for something else. Had a bowl of applesauce from the fridge and felt satisfied. Breakfast was a bowl of cold cereal. It was from one of the boxes I bought for $1.08 a while back. Added about 1/3 c milk (milk .57 cents a half gallon) and a banana.. .15 cent a lb so maybe .05 cents.

I received my utility bill for last month was pleased to see I had lowered the status on how far behind I was on my actual usage on my budget billing. Last month I was behind about $124.00 and this month $42.00. That is good since it will keep the budget billing lower for the coming cold months.

Things are tight due to the loss of medicaid for my medicare B premium but I will manage some how. Even with the COLA the first of the year I will be receiving around $85.00 less each month. I will have to wait and see if I will still qualify for medicare D assistance. Although things are tight I still feel good that things are going to be ok. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Finished the last of my cold cereals that were bought on sale a while back for $1.08 each. Also the last of the bananas. .05 cents each. Used the last of the gf breads and gf hamburger bun also bought on sale for $1.08 each item. Used 6 eggs in various dishes .08 cent each. Made tuna fish salad with 2 of the eggs. Cannot remember off hand how much the tuna cost but used mayo from Dollar Tree and some fresh onion from the fridge.. Will get three meals out of the one can of tuna fish. No bread or buns to make a sandwich so I warmed a couple of hard shell tacos in the toaster oven and used them like crackers. Bought 12 for $1.00 on sale. Had applesauce for dessert. Made a meatloaf with ground beef $2.62 lb used one pound and used two eggs and the last of my gf panko crumbs combined with some oatmeal. Will make mashed potatoes, green beans with onions, and saute some apples with sugar and cinnamon. Will have a lot of good meals from this as well as make a couple of TV dinners for the freezer. I definitely need bread to make cold meatloaf sandwiches tomorrow so will throw some things in my bread machine later on this afternoon or evening and make some bread. Drinking coffee (free) with whole milk .57 cents a half gallon..I feel that I am eating well but frugally.

Need to come up with some menu ideas so I can cook ahead. Life is so much easier when you can pull something out of the fridge and heat it.

Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:43 pm

My bread machine died! It sort of mixed things and did not let it rise but did bake it all to a crunchy mess.. Teddi ate some of the the crunchy bits like dog biscuits. I have some set aside to whiz in the food processor and will make them in to bread crumbs. I do have another bread machine in the basement but since it has been in long term storage not sure if it is still functional.

My brother and SIL came by today to drop off more canning jars and Rubbermaid's they do not need. Earlier this morning my brother sent me an e-mail and said they would be stopping by later today to bring me the canning jars and "If you do not mind I want to pick up the first 2 coupons for your property taxes." I do not mind! We can pay our property taxes in 4 installments and I of course am always behind. He had offered to pay half of my property taxes earlier this year but I turned him down wanting to stand on my own two feet. However with the change in my medicaid assistance I am happy that he brought it up again and that I did not have to feel guilty about asking him for help..He and my SIL have always been helpful when it comes to financial things. Anyway this takes a huge burden off of my shoulders. I will be able to pay the rest more easily and even get somewhat of a head start on saving for next year.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama