Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:16 am Janet, I was just wondering how I could save the fat juice off the corned beef. Thanks for the inspiration.
It always amazes me when I find some way that other people are also thinking of saving things to make every last little bit count. I love going on the internet and finding these things out. Just wish I had not thrown the cooking broth away without thinking or looking.. Oh well next year. Janet Alliesmma
Janet Alliesmama
RedRobin

Post by RedRobin »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:15 am I think your posts provide inspiration to many of us, Redrobin. Please continue to post.
Thank you. Aliesmama sent me a pm and said the same. She said some would be interested in what I do with some of the "harvested" food.

I'll try to do that if I get the chance, from work. I only have a kindle at home (plus those crazy auto corrects)and typing with one finger takes a long time. I have a computer with a regular keyboard at work.

I was asked by someone at work to crochet a baby Afghan for a shower in a few weeks.. I am going to see if I have enough scrap yarn to do it. Otherwise, I think Michaels has a sale and I have a $25 mypoints gift card, o the yarn will be free. I would only charge her cost, but of course I would get cash to replace the gift card, so free cash. She is not financially well off (due to both circumstances and poor decisions) so I get to enjoy my hobby and she gets an inexpensive gift. Frugal for both of us. Anyway, I might get to shop for yarn but I'd say it's well within the no spend category.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

My aide is on a tight budget as am I. The other day she asked if I would be interested in going in on her with some of the sale ads.. They are offering 5 items for 10.00 in produce products. I agreed since the same things would cost 4.00 per item. So we each can get two things we want and then split the cost of the 5th item. So the 5 items will only come to 5.00 for each of us.Janet Allismama
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I sure like it when I can split costs like that Janet. Old dance partner and I did that alot. We both like frugal things. If eating out, we even split meals sometimes because he liked the bread and I didn't. And I like the fatty meat and he didn't. I have some good memories of him and us.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I was going through things last night and found my receipts for this month and looking at my budget. I realized I had saved $5.42 in another category so that will cover the shared produce buy. I had originally told my aide that I would have to go over my budget since I had already spent most of my grocery money for this month and needed to save some for fresh dairy and veggies ie lettuce. I also made $9.00 on surveys in the last couple of weeks and had it transferred to my savings account from Pay Pal the other day. Amazing how the little bit of money I can pick up here and there really can stretch my food budget. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
RedRobin

Post by RedRobin »

Great job figuring out the budget.

I brought home food from our work lunch yesterday. It was so good.

I have ziti with red sauce and vodka sauce, chicken parmesan, green salad with apples and grapes, cookies, mini cupcakes, carrot cake and grated parmesan cheese, all brought home in rewashed zip lock bags (that were free from work originally) and various free plastic containers.

So far we had 3 meals from it with no end in sight. I put the parmesan cheese in a 32 ounce, saved, pasta sauce glass jar in the freezer, topped off the half Kraft parmesan container, also free, , in the freezer put the rest in the container that currently using in the fridge.

Once I see what Dh will continue to eat or not , I Will portion the rest out and freeze for lunches. DH is the cookie eater and will probably have the carrot cake for his breakfasts.

I am constantly reworking the free food so it is not wasted keeping out of the store and saving money