Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:50 am I bought the 88c/dozen at Walmart as well. Actually, it was slightly cheaper in the 18 pack and I got those because we eat 4 eggs a day on the low carb diet.
That is one of the reasons I look for cheaper eggs is due to the low carb diet.. I am having problems with blood sugar going too low on the low carb diet.. so I am doing a modification until I can things balanced. I did go off of my low carb diet while out yesterday but with just eating small portions of everything my blood sugar was good this morning..I think that is the key for me moderation and low carb combined.
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Maybe that is why I am not doing so good on this extremely low carb diet. I never thought about my blood sugar going too low. I will have to start checking it.
Momof2

Post by Momof2 »

This is the first time this month I have had to check in as work has been crazy, so I have been bringing things home to work on. If I need to stay late to get everything done, I would rather bring it home and I can at least let my rabbits out or their cage and let the cats go out onto the screened porch area while I am working.

I am doing well with most of my no spending. I did spend a tiny bit more at the grocery store this past weekend than I budgeted, but I picked up several items on my future needs meat list that was on sale for less than I have seen it in a while- thank you Super Bowl people. I also bought 2 pkgs. split chicken breasts that were on sale for $1.79 lb., but each pkg. had a $2.00 off sticker. Each pkg. had 3 large breasts which will feed RM and me 3 different meals each, so less than $.50 per serving, plus broth from the bones for soup of some kind. I have not had any food waste so far this month- aiming for as little as possible. I do have some grapes that are getting a little wrinkly, so may freeze those for future smoothies. So far this month, I have used up a free to me frozen veggie lasagna (been in the freezer for a while), head of broccoli, block of mozzarella cheese (made homemade pizza), 4 apples that had been in the fridge for a while (Spicy Apple Cake with Almonds); Onion and last green peppers (grilled veggies to go with grilled chicken, grilled Italian Sausage, and Pulled-Pork sandwiches), partial bottle of barbecue sauce (in the pulled pork for sandwiches); last of the head of cabbage and a part of a carrot (coleslaw to go with the meal on Super Bowl Sunday); bag of chips (part of RM’s lunch); left-over onions and peppers with left-over Italian sausage from Super Bowl, and last of the shredded mozzarella cheese (Italian Sandwiches), partial bag of Onion Flavored Rings, and the rest of the container of guacamole (in my lunch).

I did buy a couple of dresses, tops, and a pair of boots (because mine decided to crack) that were on a really great sale, but I saved more on my electric and water bill to pay for them plus have extra cash leftover. I hope everyone else is having a great year and saving money.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Property taxes were paid today.. Whew! Now to start to save for the next year..

I did cherry pick some groceries at Save-a-Lot and they gave me a coupon for $ 5.00 off of my next $25.00 purchase. It is within a limited time but still $ 5.00 can really be stretched.. So will work that in to the budget. Went to Good Will and bought doggie nephew two baby T-shirts size 24 months.(1.50 each). He needs something to wear in the house since his fur is cut so short and it has been so cold. ( 7 F) windchill outside and if I turn the temp down to 66 he starts to shake all over.. I usually keep it at 68 during the day and cover him with a fleece blanket at night. I found an adorable plaid insulated vest for him 6 to 9 months ($2.50). It reminds me of a lumber jack jacket. It zips up and it fits him perfectly. I am cutting the snaps off of the crotch area on the T-shirts and hemming the bottom so that he does not have a problem when he has to do #1. The lower part I cut off fits him well as a little hood and I am going to switch the snaps to the upper back of his T-shirt so that it can be worn with or without the hood. So much easier than trying to make him little coats out of fleece that I have here. He tends to slip out of them but with the little baby T-shirts he cannot. Doing well with the challenge even with buying clothes for doggie nephew.. I used some slush fund money for that.Slush fund money comes when a budgeted item comes in under budget. That money goes in to a slush fund for whatever extra is needed. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Janet, my dogs get cold too. It's great you found cute little clothes for yours. My Lucy likes to be covered up with her blanket and Hope will lay right in front of the little electric fireplace.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:50 am Janet, my dogs get cold too. It's great you found cute little clothes for yours. My Lucy likes to be covered up with her blanket and Hope will lay right in front of the little electric fireplace.
You know people talk about animals being cold resilient but when I had my rabbit, Ginger, she was so funny. I would let her out of her cage when I was home and after running around she would get close to the heater. I had the oil based electric heaters and there were times she would stretch out long ways with her little butt and back feet stretched towards the heater.. Her nick name was Bunny Buns and I would just tell her not to get too close and toast her Bunny buns too much.lol. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama