Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:37 pm
alliesmama4 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:04 pm
Dgflorida wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:48 am I freeze extra green peppers. I slice them up and just freeze them for use in cooking. They come out tasting just fine. I eat a lot of peppers sauteed with chicken. Yum
That is what I do. I slice some for things like fajitas and dice them smaller for quiche or an omelet. Also great to throw some sliced ones in a stir fry. I also slice and dice onions and freeze them. So much easier to grab a handful and start cooking. I am limited to freezer space since my chest freezer died.I still freeze a few whole green peppers when the prices are low to make stuffed peppers. I just make the stuffing and put it in the frozen pepper shells and then pop them in the oven. Janet Alliesmama
We have been storing onions down in the basement, but I am so tempted to try dehydrating them. I have mats for the dehydrator so I wouldn't have to worry about the diced/chopped onions falling through. I may give this a try with a few this year.
In my emergency pantry I have dehydrated onion, celery, carrots, and corn.. It really makes it nice when you want to make something you can throw some in a pot to make soup or whatever. Nice always to have them on hand. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I had made a challenge to myself to not buy anything except fresh dairy, fresh veggies etc until the first of August..Also was only going to use slush fund/survey money however I did have extra money come my way due to a refund so I bought some ground chuck, pork sausage links, and fresh blueberries in addition to the dairy and fresh veggies.

I made chicken fajitas the other day using a container of sliced bell peppers from the freezer, fresh onion, and chicken from the freeze. I had four meals from that one dish. Oh I forgot I did buy some gluten free wraps at Aldi's to eat with the fajitas. Small corn tortillas just do not work well with fajitas. Tomorrow I am going to fry some of the corn tortilla to use with my guacamole. I need to look it up again but I think in order to get the restaurant quality of taco chips you need to let the corn tortillas dry out over night so I will have to wait until tomorrow to enjoy them and my guacamole. I bought some avocados at Aldi's .49 cents each. I ate one in a salad, one out of the shell as a snack, and the rest will be made in to guacamole. I am going to try to do more cooking ahead. Seems like all I do is cook, eat, cleanup the dishes and then start over for the next meal..There should be more to life than that.Although they have said that at the turn of the 19th century women spent at least 6 hours a day in the kitchen preparing food. I do not know how they managed when they did not have a lot of the conveniences we have now a days.

My Aunts told me a story of when my Dad was born in 1914. They came home from school for their lunch that their mother had prepared for them. She told them when they came home from school that afternoon she would have a surprise for them. When they came home she had delivered my Dad at home. Can you imagine doing that? Get up and fix lunch for 4 children and then give birth a few hours later..She was a tiny woman. I cannot imagine what she went through. They said their Dad had strung Chinese lantern around the room to celebrate. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

It has been a few days since I last posted. While I have not been to the grocery store since the 1st (not planned, just has worked out that way), I have spent some money. I went thrift store shopping with a friend and while I was not planning on spending, I found several items that are on my long term shopping list (a list of items I need or will need soon, but can wait for a really good price). I live in a small condo, and the sofa I had was too large for it, old and showing wear, and too large for sofa covers to fit properly. Anyway, I found a small sofa that matches the colors of my large throw rug, in great shape, very clean, and priced for $37.00 (well within what I was willing to pay for a sofa in good condition) on sale for ½ off. So for $17.50, I have a sofa that is much more suitable for my living area space. RM had found a dining area table a few months ago that is a light wood (I think pine) that seats 4, but the sides fold down easily so that it seats 2 and takes up less space. It cost $5.00. We were just using a couple of fold up chairs that I already owned until I or he could find something we liked that matched the table. I found 2 chairs (there were actually 3) that are white with the seats the pine color that match my table beautifully. They were $15.00 each, more on the high end of what I wanted to pay, but they are very sturdy. And the best part is that the back of each is the same pattern as the bar stools my friend gave me when I first moved into my home. I also found about 10 dresses that I really liked and looked in new condition for $3.00 each. One of the dresses still had the original price tag on it ($70.00). It is a very nice dress, but I would not pay that much for a dress, or not one that is not for a very special occasion.

Janet- I think we should be comfortable in our homes, so if we need to spend a little for that to happen, then we spend- obviously within reason. I mean I could certainly continue to function without buying any of the above, but hey it gives me pleasure for my furnishings to look a little nice and it makes it more "homey." In addition to the above, I also found a beautiful tea set (at a different thrift store). It is not too fancy, but it is quite lovely. I have always wanted one, and for $6.99 the price was right. It has the tea pot, a sugar bowl, creamer, salt and pepper shaker and 4 cups. There were no saucers, but I found 3 that match it beautifully (think silver-gray color pattern) for $.25 each. I will look for a fourth, but since it is just myself (sometimes RM), it is fine. I console myself with it is things that make me happy, and I waited to buy at the most economical price. In addition, it keeps things that I really like and appreciate out of the landfill, and the proceeds are for a good cause (Goodwill and Humane Society thrift stores). At the second thrift store, I also found three more dresses ($6.99 each, but one was ½ off), a pair of pants, a pair of shorts, and a black and white sweater. I wear dresses a lot- at least 6 times a week, and usually 7. I prefer them to pants or shorts (I do like skirts too). Sweaters are a must as it is freezing in my office and I do not have any control over the temperature. I keep a blanket, a spare sweater or jacket, and a pair of wool socks in my office at all times.

Dgflorida, I also freeze peppers. As a matter of fact, I think they are multiplying in the freezer. I am slowly organizing my freezer, and in each section I have found a bag (or several bags) of sliced peppers. When they start to look like they are going to wrinkle before I can use them, I slice them and stick them in the freezer. I used a rather large bag last week in veggie fajitas.

Jackielou- I would love to have a basement. Living in Florida, it is just too hot to keep a large supply of onions and potatoes and while I do have a dehydrator, I do not have a mat so I think the onions would fall right through the grate(s). I also think the smell would completely overwhelm all living breathing things in the house. I am certain RM would not appreciate the smell. I do not think outside is really an option here due to the high humidity. I sometimes use my crockpot or roaster on the porch, but I am hesitant to use the dehydrator.

Janet, I am glad you were able to pick up a few groceries. I am still plugging away at using what is in house, but I will have to go to the grocery store soon, probably Saturday since that is my “normal” grocery shopping day. I have now opened the last bag of all-purpose flour and sugar. The only fresh veggies I have are onions, garlic, and celery (only using this for my rabbit). I am completely out of fresh fruits. I have canned and frozen fruits and veggies, as well as several cans of dehydrated, so no danger of starving in the near future, but for the sake of enjoyment, I want some fresh.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Momof2 I wish I had more green peppers. I only had my frig freezer and I didn't stock up like I wanted to. Now with my new to me freezer, I have room. I had 2 big celery plants grown from store bought celery bottoms. I cut them down and chopped them for winter soup. The early heat this year got to them. I will definitely grow them this fall. So easy to root! The same with lettuce. But again too hot now. I intend to freeze onions when I find them on a good sale.
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:41 am Momof2 I wish I had more green peppers. I only had my frig freezer and I didn't stock up like I wanted to. Now with my new to me freezer, I have room. I had 2 big celery plants grown from store bought celery bottoms. I cut them down and chopped them for winter soup. The early heat this year got to them. I will definitely grow them this fall. So easy to root! The same with lettuce. But again too hot now. I intend to freeze onions when I find them on a good sale.
Dgflorida, I did not realize celery would grow from cut bottoms, not that I have seen celery around here with the roots still on it. Most of the peppers in my freezer are peppers I cut and put into the freezer to keep then from going bad.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Momof2, I think growing celery from bottoms is the only way to get them to grow here in Florida. From seed takes too long given our long hot summers. It is surprisingly easy and worth finding a whole celery with bottom. I won't start any until fall though. Here in 9b/10a, that will be close to October. Takes about 2 weeks for the bottom to sprout enough to plant outside. Just sit the bottom in a bowl of water and keep the water level just high enough to keep the base wet and voila.