Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Momof2Still

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by Momof2Still »

Janet, yes we are very lucky here in Florida to have produce grown here in the state.

I am supper excited. Today was the last official work day of the school year for me, and I took it as a personal day since I have extra that does not roll over to next year, and I had nothing left to do. I stayed later than many of the teachers Wednesday and Thursday finishing up everything. I have most of the summer off to get my home better organized and deep cleaned. I also want to inventory the food in the pantry, fridge and freezers this summer. I do have some things work related I want to work on too, but I can do most of it from home.

While it has been a very busy week and I cannot remember all we ate, nothing has been tossed or bought. I over bought last weekend, so I am going to lower my allowed spending through the end of June. I have done well for the most part with using up the older items in house and sticking to my budget, but I just cannot seem to pass up a good bargain even if I do not need it for the week and while using up stuff in house, I keep adding to the pantry and freezers, which in moderation is fine. I also do not need as large of a supply of food once the summer is over.

I want to make sure I use the items that RM likes, but that I should not have a lot of (carbs mostly) since he is leaving sometime this summer to go to boot-camp and then on to who knows where. I will miss him, but as my best friend, I plan on being as supportive of his decision as possible. I think I will move the rabbit cage into that room once he is gone along with most of the cat items.

This morning RM and I had scrambled eggs and bacon- all from the fridge. I never got around to eating the chicken and veggies for lunches, so I made a salad and topped it with most of the left-over chicken, some grapes, strawberries, walnuts from the freezer, cucumber, and a partial tomato. I topped that with some lite Ranch dressing that I brought home from the fridge at work. I will use the rest of the chicken and veggies tonight along with a little Israeli Couscous (the only carb I will have had today and it is an item I have had in house a while and needs using). I will make RM his customary Friday night pizza (I have a couple unopened pkgs. of pepperoni that will need using before he leaves). Well off to see what needs using first and make a menu plan for next week around those items.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2Still wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:08 pm Janet, yes we are very lucky here in Florida to have produce grown here in the state.

I am supper excited. Today was the last official work day of the school year for me, and I took it as a personal day since I have extra that does not roll over to next year, and I had nothing left to do. I stayed later than many of the teachers Wednesday and Thursday finishing up everything. I have most of the summer off to get my home better organized and deep cleaned. I also want to inventory the food in the pantry, fridge and freezers this summer. I do have some things work related I want to work on too, but I can do most of it from home.

While it has been a very busy week and I cannot remember all we ate, nothing has been tossed or bought. I over bought last weekend, so I am going to lower my allowed spending through the end of June. I have done well for the most part with using up the older items in house and sticking to my budget, but I just cannot seem to pass up a good bargain even if I do not need it for the week and while using up stuff in house, I keep adding to the pantry and freezers, which in moderation is fine. I also do not need as large of a supply of food once the summer is over.

I want to make sure I use the items that RM likes, but that I should not have a lot of (carbs mostly) since he is leaving sometime this summer to go to boot-camp and then on to who knows where. I will miss him, but as my best friend, I plan on being as supportive of his decision as possible. I think I will move the rabbit cage into that room once he is gone along with most of the cat items.

This morning RM and I had scrambled eggs and bacon- all from the fridge. I never got around to eating the chicken and veggies for lunches, so I made a salad and topped it with most of the left-over chicken, some grapes, strawberries, walnuts from the freezer, cucumber, and a partial tomato. I topped that with some lite Ranch dressing that I brought home from the fridge at work. I will use the rest of the chicken and veggies tonight along with a little Israeli Couscous (the only carb I will have had today and it is an item I have had in house a while and needs using). I will make RM his customary Friday night pizza (I have a couple unopened pkgs. of pepperoni that will need using before he leaves). Well off to see what needs using first and make a menu plan for next week around those items.
Momof2 Congrats on the ending of the school year.. Nice that you can have some time at home to reorganize.. That makes a big difference in my opinion.

Hope you will not be affected by the storm brewing off the coast.. I know you said hurricane season starts June 1st but this is really cutting it close.

Sorry your RM/Best friend is moving on..I know he will be missed..

I used to have a rabbit. Ginger. She was so much fun and I was able to take her with me when I was a traveling therapist.

Enjoy your summer. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Using what I have on hand for meals.. Today I made Thai yellow curry with free Thai curry paste from Amazon. Used a gift card to purchase it..The jar is suppose to be used for making a recipe 2 times but since I am one person I just use a little bit here and there and I have had 5 dishes from it.. Most of them will last me for three meals but one time is was just two meals. Used the last potato and some boneless chicken thighs (2), an onion, and half can of coconut milk. Everything was bought on sale. Made a pot of rice to go with it and Teddi had chicken thigh meat and rice.. He has been off of his food for several days and I was glad to see him licking his plate so he had two servings.

I fried a lb of pork sausage. I divided it into portions.. cooked 3 patties and put them in the freezer for quick breakfast sandwiches.. The rest was fried and I made ketogenic sausage gravy. The recipe calls for 8 oz of cream cheese but I only had 4 oz left from a block so used it and it was still tasty just not as much gravy.. Used home made chicken broth to thin it a little.. Will be making almond biscuit tomorrow to go with it. This will last me until mid week. Made sugar free jello for dessert. Also half gallon of iced tea. A while back bought Tetley iced tea bags for $1.00 at Big Lots. It works out to about .16 cents for a half gallon.. Irks me that I use to buy a big cup from McDonald's for $1.08. Such a waste of money.. but cannot change that just be diligent and take iced tea with me from home. Boiled 6 eggs to make faux potato salad tomorrow as well as a couple of deviled eggs for Memorial Day.

Mulberry's are starting to ripen and I have a rogue tree on my brothers property that I can pick from. Also starting to ripen along the fence line between my property and my next door neighbor.. That area is more shady so they do not ripen as soon. Loads of peaches on my peach trees and every time I go to the mail box I stop to cull some of them.. If I do not they will break the branches when they get bigger. My apple tree has not started to fruit yet but I have not checked it in a few days so who knows.. My strawberry plants are doing well and it saddens me to pick the blossoms off but next year woo hoo...lol. I still need to get some of my plants planted hopefully tomorrow.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Janet, your curry dish always sounds so good. I love curries, but like to make them at home so I can better control the heat- I am a big wimp when it comes to spicy food. I agree, organization is super important, especially when time is limited at home.

I decided not to even go to the grocery store today. I am doing a more restricted food budget, so I am not even going to go to the store unless I absolutely need fresh veggies, fruit, or dairy items. This morning I made a couple of fried eggs and used some pre-cooked bacon from the freezer since I was in a hurry. RM had a bowl of cereal later in the day and then did not want lunch. I had the left-over chicken mixture with the couscous that was left from last night’s dinner. Tonight, I used up the pkg. of Portabella mushrooms (seasoned with Adobe) and some garlic oil. With that I sautéed one yellow squash and one zucchini with garlic. We also had a can of green beans from the pantry. For dessert, I cut up a banana that was getting soft, added a couple of scoops of vanilla low-carb ice-cream and one scoop of low-carb chocolate ice-cream. Topped the ice-cream with chocolate sauce, pineapple sauce, and strawberry sauce- a modified banana split- boy was it good. I still have two bananas, so am thinking of banana pancakes for dinner tomorrow night.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wow. Everyone has abundant fruits. Everything here is soggy.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2Still wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:09 pm Janet, your curry dish always sounds so good. I love curries, but like to make them at home so I can better control the heat- I am a big wimp when it comes to spicy food. I agree, organization is super important, especially when time is limited at home.

I decided not to even go to the grocery store today. I am doing a more restricted food budget, so I am not even going to go to the store unless I absolutely need fresh veggies, fruit, or dairy items. This morning I made a couple of fried eggs and used some pre-cooked bacon from the freezer since I was in a hurry. RM had a bowl of cereal later in the day and then did not want lunch. I had the left-over chicken mixture with the couscous that was left from last night’s dinner. Tonight, I used up the pkg. of Portabella mushrooms (seasoned with Adobe) and some garlic oil. With that I sautéed one yellow squash and one zucchini with garlic. We also had a can of green beans from the pantry. For dessert, I cut up a banana that was getting soft, added a couple of scoops of vanilla low-carb ice-cream and one scoop of low-carb chocolate ice-cream. Topped the ice-cream with chocolate sauce, pineapple sauce, and strawberry sauce- a modified banana split- boy was it good. I still have two bananas, so am thinking of banana pancakes for dinner tomorrow night.
Momof2.. I am a wimp too when it comes to hot things. That is why I like Thai yellow curry. You get all of the yummy flavors but no pain...lol. I like tangy foods but not torture. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama