Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
jckitty

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by jckitty »

I think I did real well for the January beginning of no spending, I almost ordered a pair of jersey knit pajamas the other night but....stopped myself by talking to myself about the fact that I have enough.
I love PJ's that don't really look like PJ's...jersey knit, soft and something I can wear without a robe in the mornings. In case I get "caught" working around the house before I put on real clothes.

February should be easier for me as the after holiday sales have eased up and I don't splash out for Valentines day ....here's hoping!
I do like seeing $$ pile up for allowable spends. 8-)
JCKitty

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

jckitty wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:51 pm
Might sound weird but I collect vintage, waffle irons, percolators, and toasters.
Oh, that's not weird. Do you display them?

If I had display space, or for that matter any talent at display, I'd have old coffee grinders. Since I have no space or talent, I stop short of buying every single one I've seen.

I'll inherit one that my mom got from her mom and used in France starting with her marriage in the 1930s until she died in the 70s - and for that one, I'll... I don't know... Build a shelf! :lol:

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

January: 7 out of 31 (there is no weeping icon - picture a weeping yellow face)

22.5%

DH points out that actual expenditures weren't that bad (define "that" bad, I asked - he couldn't), but the # of days expenditures were made was just awful. Which means, since we live in place with a 0 rating for walkability, driving. Almost every day.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

January was a good month for me since I was able to buy some groceries with survey money. I did buy an unplanned DNA kit but with grocery money saved and some slush fund money.I even brought my water bill down by about 9.00.. so I feel all things considered things went well.

On Wed I decided it was such a nice day I would go for a ride but a ride not to be wasted.. I went to the aluminum can recycling place and received $3.76. I have given up buying soda so this will most likely be my last free money from that source. I drove to Aldi's and was surprised to see spiral hams marked down to half price. I looked for the cheapest one which was $ 9.39 so half price was $4.70 and I used my can money so I figure I bought a 3.14 lb ham for .94 cents! I did not have enough money to buy another one wish I had.. Went back on Thursday on my way home from the Drs office but of course they were all gone.Since I had received my pension over night through electronic transfer I did some more grocery shopping and hopefully will not have to buy anything more for the rest of Feb except for fresh dairy and fresh veggies.

Forgot to mention that Teddi went to the groomers a week ago but his Nana in Texas sent a check to cover the expense.

So far this year is looking good for me for the no spend challenge..We all have our ups and downs but over all I think just making an effort is good no matter if we do not do as well as we want to or think we can do. Keep up the good work.. Looking forward to Feb with a clean slate.. Janet Alliesmama
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Alliesmama

delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

I have been so busy the past few weeks so I haven't updated. Weekends have been busy with children's birthday parties. To keep from spending on clothing, I'm putting clothing catalogs straight to the recycling pile. I haven't really put any strict limits on our dining out but we just incidentally have not been dining out a whole lot lately. There's some recipes I had been wanting to try.

alliesmama4 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:17 pm
delighted99 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:47 pm
Alright, Janet. Count me in! Thanks for explaining.

I'm going to do a no-spend on clothing now that I've replaced what I felt like I had to replace in my wardrobe. I really and truly do not need more clothing for any season including this current one!

alliesmama4 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:59 am

delighted we can all make our own "will not spend" categories.. If you need or want to spend on things that is your decision.. I just think it is going to be fun and interesting to see how far I can go without buying anything but food and medication for myself and my doggie nephew.. Hope you can come along for some of the adventure. Janet Alliesmama
Delighted 99.. I am delighted to have you on board...Looking forward to seeing how you do.. Janet Alliesmama

jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Sandi,
Sorry it has taken so long to reply to your question of where I display my vintage appliances.
I have them on top of my upper cabinetry. I use one of the percolators occasionally, and one of the waffle irons so they are on a summer kitchen stove top unit along with some of my old copper cookware. My kitchen is hard to explain...geodesic dome and the outset area of the kitchen are hard to picture.
I don't have picture capability or know how to put pics on the forum...I am technology challenged :?
JCKitty