Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
2dogs+someCats

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Looking back over my January expenses. I spent $74.57 on food for myself (food only - I track paper products, laundry products, trash bags, etc. separately). I spent $72.71 on my two dogs and five cats (plus assorted strays) - that was for food, treats for the dogs and extremely cheap kitty litter.

I have to say I am SURPRISED -- I did NOT realize I was spending so much on the animals. I am going to try to bring that cost DOWN by cutting back on dog treats (more than I already have) and mixing a cheaper brand of cat food with the brand the cats prefer. I have also discovered the dogs will eat a little bit cheaper food if I put hot water on it.

The cost is still going to go UP...because the dogs are due for a nail trim and booster shots - but WOW...I was just surprised is all I am saying. One thing I have discovered is that I can cut one dog treat into 4 pieces - turning one treat into 4. The dogs don't know the difference - they just know they are getting a treat.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:39 pm Looking back over my January expenses. I spent $74.57 on food for myself (food only - I track paper products, laundry products, trash bags, etc. separately). I spent $72.71 on my two dogs and five cats (plus assorted strays) - that was for food, treats for the dogs and extremely cheap kitty litter.

I have to say I am SURPRISED -- I did NOT realize I was spending so much on the animals. I am going to try to bring that cost DOWN by cutting back on dog treats (more than I already have) and mixing a cheaper brand of cat food with the brand the cats prefer. I have also discovered the dogs will eat a little bit cheaper food if I put hot water on it.

The cost is still going to go UP...because the dogs are due for a nail trim and booster shots - but WOW...I was just surprised is all I am saying. One thing I have discovered is that I can cut one dog treat into 4 pieces - turning one treat into 4. The dogs don't know the difference - they just know they are getting a treat.
Good idea Sheila I have been feeding doggie Nephew his treats by cutting them in smaller bites and hand feeding them to him. If he gets a whole treat he runs away with it and scarfs it down quickly and then is looking for more. Janet alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

I break Buddy's milk bones in half because my daughter said giving whole ones would make him fat. Then when she was here last Saturday she told me he looks like he has put on weight and I have noticed that too (in spite of all of his energy) so I have cut back a little on his food.

Bev
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I just finished my January audit and I am happy and surprised.. Despite buying my DNA kit, unexpected purchase, I still came in under budget. The $33.00 I made in survey money did help a lot with food costs. The saved money from the food budget and other areas paid for the DNA kit. I am saving every receipt and entering them in my notebook. I can see where I can and should cut more from my food.. Some snack and treat type things can be made at home.. Just need to get organized.. I do have the things needed to work with.. Just a matter of finding the energy to do things instead of picking up something premade at the grocery store. Hope to do better in Feb as well as the coming months. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Well I'm hoping to spend less now that my Italy trip is out of the way, however dh has changed how I'm being paid from him (his job now pays weekly, so I get paid weekly too), and I'm struggling with adjusting, but I will be fine.

Thus far for Feb No Grocery/sundry spending:

I spent on the 1st and 2nd, no spend on 3rd & 4th, spent on 5th, no spend on 6th, 7th, & 8th, spent on 9th & 10th (because of AWESOME butter prices), no spend on 11th & 12th, spent on 13th, no-spend on 14th & 15th.

So thus far:
Spend: 6
No-spend: 9

I'll be spending tomorrow (Friday the 16th), and maybe on Saturday (17th), then no-spend on Sunday & Monday, then spend again on Tuesday.

And I want 15 no-spend days for Feb -- Subbing is helping me to NOT spend, as I come home too tired to do much besides make dinner & go to bed. :o
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

It sure is easy to spend money on furbabies. The vet would like me to buy expensive food for the cat. But as long as I have to eat ground beef, the cat gets friskies and 9 lives. Besides, she like it.