Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Momof2

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by Momof2 »

Janet, sounds like you are doing well. I am very much like you when it comes to groceries. I have gone over my food budget for February, but I have been very much under budget in several categories (water, electric, pet items) along with the amount I spent for my dress for DS’s wedding. The dress I wanted was well over $100.00, but the price kept dropping. I ordered it when the price hit $37.00 since I was worried it would start going back up, or sell out and I really love the dress, the style, and the color.

It has been crazy busy at work the last few weeks. It is a new position for me this year, so a learning curve. The person above me is also new and she is ready to leave- she is actually interviewing for other positions, so my position has expanded from what it was originally. When I get home, I am ready to go to bed (but I cannot) which is why I have not been posting lately. I have done okay with no waste. I was doing really well with keeping on top of using things even though I was super busy, but then I caught a cold and a few items (fresh veggies) did go bad.

I do need to do better with not buying as many groceries. I really need to realize it is okay not to buy things for fear they will not be on sale when I do need them. I think I am going to do a pantry challenge for the rest of the month- allowing $20.00 to buy fresh items or dairy if needed.

Well, onward on the no spending (or very low spending).

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:51 pm
Janet, sounds like you are doing well. I am very much like you when it comes to groceries. I have gone over my food budget for February, but I have been very much under budget in several categories (water, electric, pet items) along with the amount I spent for my dress for DS’s wedding. The dress I wanted was well over $100.00, but the price kept dropping. I ordered it when the price hit $37.00 since I was worried it would start going back up, or sell out and I really love the dress, the style, and the color.

It has been crazy busy at work the last few weeks. It is a new position for me this year, so a learning curve. The person above me is also new and she is ready to leave- she is actually interviewing for other positions, so my position has expanded from what it was originally. When I get home, I am ready to go to bed (but I cannot) which is why I have not been posting lately. I have done okay with no waste. I was doing really well with keeping on top of using things even though I was super busy, but then I caught a cold and a few items (fresh veggies) did go bad.

I do need to do better with not buying as many groceries. I really need to realize it is okay not to buy things for fear they will not be on sale when I do need them. I think I am going to do a pantry challenge for the rest of the month- allowing $20.00 to buy fresh items or dairy if needed.

Well, onward on the no spending (or very low spending).
Momof2.. Good to hear from you. I have been wondering how you were doing since we had not heard from you for a while..

Great save on the dress for your DS wedding.

I too am doing a pantry/fridge challenge to see how well I can use things up. Wishing you good luck with your challenge..Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

sounds like a great challenge, Momof2 and Janet.

Momof2

Post by Momof2 »

The last few days I have managed to used up a pkg. of gnocchi and ½ jar of pesto (Gnocchi with Pesto); partial pkg. of Garlic Herb Chicken breasts; zucchini, red pepper, onion (grilled chicken with veggies); pkg. instant potatoes (from emergency stash); can of whole tomatoes, rest of the jar of chopped garlic, ½ an onion; herbs and spices; pgs. of chicken sausage (pasta sauce); some of a pkg. of fresh tortellini; pkg. frozen broccoli; sub roll (used to make garlic “bread”); partial pkg. lentils, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic (Lentil Soup); pkg. Portabella mushrooms and hamburger buns (Portabella burgers); 1 tomato, pkg. salad mix; partial cucumber; rest of a bottle of Raspberry-Walnut dressing; pre-cooked turkey bacon from the freezer; 1/2 pkg. eggs (boiled eggs); 2 partial pkgs. sandwich meat and a partial pkg. bread (sandwiches for lunch for RM) and lots of fresh fruit (strawberries, grapes, apples, bananas). There were a few other things but I cannot remember what they are. It seems like a lot of food, but both RM and I take our breakfast and lunches to work with us (I tend to have left-overs) along with snacks.

I made a scratch Devil's food cake last night from the pantry and will be mixing up a recipe of Butter-creme frosting to go on it (RM asked me to bake a cake for him to take on his trip to see his family).

Well, off to get dinner into the oven and then make the frosting and ice the cake.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I have been reworking my budget due to unplanned expenses.. Bummer! There seems to always be something waiting in the wings to present itself..I am concentrating on trying to undercut what is in the budget. I am hoping with the Spring on the horizon the weather will improve and I will soon be able to cut back on my utility bill. With the severe weather and the power outages on the east coast I am thinking more and more about getting some kind of auxiliary heating in my house.. ie fireplace insert. Red Robin, who lives on the east coast, said her DD has not had any power for days and she and her family have been living in a hotel but that runs in to a lot of money. They were told not to expect power restoration until the 14th! I have gone as long as 4 days with just my fireplace and could barely keep the heat up to a tolerable level by burning wood round the clock but in an open fireplace the heat goes out faster than it stays in. Also working on cooking from scratch and stretching what I have. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I am doing well with cutting expenses. Yesterday I turned the heat down to 66 F during the day and used the oil based electric heater in my bedroom.. I basically camped out in there doing paperwork, watching some TV..It was warmer outside yesterday so the furnace did not come on until evening. Since it was warmer outside (54 F) I did three loads of laundry and hung things on my clotheslines in the garage and on drying racks. Clothing did go in the dryer with 1/2 sheet of a dryer sheet and wool dryer balls for 10 min. That helps to release the winkles.. I still have to use 1/2 sheet of a dryer sheet in winter due to static electricity. I also took the time to cut some dryer sheets in half so that I do not have to stop and do it when I am busy and doing the laundry. I had read somewhere you do not need a whole dryer sheet and it works well for me..

I have been using up a rotisserie chicken in various ways. Basically had it for 4 meals for lunch and/or dinner with various veggies sides. Added some to a large dinner salad X's 2. I then put it in a pan of warm water with just enough heat to take the chill off of the meat to make it easier to pick off of the bones.Last night I added some of the chicken to a store bought bread dressing mix from Aldi's. I bought it on sale. I mixed the chicken in with the dressing like a casserole. It was a bit dry so I have thawed out some chicken broth and chicken drippings from a previous chicken and will make gravy for dinner tonight. Also found a can of pumpkin in the pantry so will make a pumpkin custard for dessert. It is just the filling of a pumpkin pie but no crust.. I never ate pie crust even before I went gluten free. The last little bit of chicken leftover will be made in to a BBQ chicken sandwich for lunch. I have some Arby's sauce packet's in the fridge. I received them due to Arby's giving me their Arby's sauce instead of the Horsey sauce. They did correct the order but told me to keep the Arby's sauce.. I will have to doctor it up a little more to my taste bud but it will make a nice base for my sauce and it was free. Janet Alliesmma
Janet Alliesmama