Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
gaylejackson2

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by gaylejackson2 »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:09 pm
Tomorrow is the end of the month and I went way over my budget with buying food when my niece was visiting. Also have been taking advantage of the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales. All money spent was for food or household needs so I do not feel bad about anything. Stocking up on food and household needs is not a bad thing. There are some wants but I have managed to not buy them.

I have gone over my 2019 budget and made adjustments where able.. I am still biting my nails regarding my Dec social security since I have not been notified whether or not Soc Security will begin to take the money out for my medicare B premium. They told me they can go retroactive for one month so there may be a big chunky taken out of my Dec SS. So glad I have a bit of a cushion since my DB paid half of my property taxes.. I will be able to make the last two payments and start 2019 off on a good foot. Janet Alliesmama
I wish you well Janet.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:45 am
BevMoore wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:28 pm
I don't know what is going on with SS and Medicare. I got my benefits notification and saw that in addition to the Medicare parts B they usually take out the are also taking some kind of additional adjustment to the tune of $60.00. So all in all I will net $6.00 a month less than for 2018. So much for the 2.8% increase. I would rather just keep what I was getting in 2018.
Bev
Bev Me too. Not sure of the bottom line yet since I have only speculated on information but I think I will be receiving $87.50 less per month starting in Jan 2019. Janet Alliesmama
Oh I think that is just dreadful!! Especially if you (and I know you do) depend on it as your msjor source of income. I feel furious on your behalf, because why should an increase Cost you money instead of Adding to it.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

gaylejackson2 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:57 am
alliesmama4 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:00 pm
gaylejackson2 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:44 pm
I’m behind again on my spending calculations.
Did spend on Nov 21, 24, 27, 28, and will spend tomorrow Nov 30. Didn't spend on Nov 20, 22, 23, 25,26, or today Nov 29.

So my totals for Nov are:

Spend days: 11
No-spend days: 19

Yay!! I managed to get 4 days of no-spend past my hoped-for total of 15.
Gayle I do not know how you manage as well as you do.. so congrats on the 19 no spend days. Janet Alliesmama
Janet,
I don't know either, I just keep trying. I do know that Substitute teaching makes me sooo tired some days that I refuse to go shopping because I don't want to see anymore people that day. Thanks.
Gayle my current aide is a retired teacher and a lot of people told her she could make more money with less physical activity but she said there is no way she would sub. She said the kids are horrible and it is a lot of stress that she does not want to deal with. Again I do not know how you manage all the you do.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

gaylejackson2 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:58 am
alliesmama4 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:09 pm
Tomorrow is the end of the month and I went way over my budget with buying food when my niece was visiting. Also have been taking advantage of the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales. All money spent was for food or household needs so I do not feel bad about anything. Stocking up on food and household needs is not a bad thing. There are some wants but I have managed to not buy them.

I have gone over my 2019 budget and made adjustments where able.. I am still biting my nails regarding my Dec social security since I have not been notified whether or not Soc Security will begin to take the money out for my medicare B premium. They told me they can go retroactive for one month so there may be a big chunky taken out of my Dec SS. So glad I have a bit of a cushion since my DB paid half of my property taxes.. I will be able to make the last two payments and start 2019 off on a good foot. Janet Alliesmama
I wish you well Janet.
Thanks Gayle.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

gaylejackson2 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:02 am
alliesmama4 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:45 am
BevMoore wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:28 pm
I don't know what is going on with SS and Medicare. I got my benefits notification and saw that in addition to the Medicare parts B they usually take out the are also taking some kind of additional adjustment to the tune of $60.00. So all in all I will net $6.00 a month less than for 2018. So much for the 2.8% increase. I would rather just keep what I was getting in 2018.
Bev
Bev Me too. Not sure of the bottom line yet since I have only speculated on information but I think I will be receiving $87.50 less per month starting in Jan 2019. Janet Alliesmama
Oh I think that is just dreadful!! Especially if you (and I know you do) depend on it as your msjor source of income. I feel furious on your behalf, because why should an increase Cost you money instead of Adding to it.
Gayle there is a fine line between what qualified me for some assistance and what does not.. So I received a $38.00 a month increase in 2018 that they have decided make me no longer eligible for assistance in paying for my medicare B premiums. So now I have to pay $135.00 each month that I had not been paying. However I am grateful for the few years that they did pay for it. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:21 am
gaylejackson2 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:57 am
alliesmama4 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:00 pm

Gayle I do not know how you manage as well as you do.. so congrats on the 19 no spend days. Janet Alliesmama
Janet,
I don't know either, I just keep trying. I do know that Substitute teaching makes me sooo tired some days that I refuse to go shopping because I don't want to see anymore people that day. Thanks.
Gayle my current aide is a retired teacher and a lot of people told her she could make more money with less physical activity but she said there is no way she would sub. She said the kids are horrible and it is a lot of stress that she does not want to deal with. Again I do not know how you manage all the you do.. Janet Alliesmama
I Sub because I feel like I need to be there, not just for the teachers but also for the students who need a steady influence. The middle school students know what to expect from me, and the HS students are learning. Besides, I can do this!! Funny though 20+ years ago, teaching terrified me, but not so now... maybe because I’m older and grumpy. 😉