No waste in January 2018

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
2dogs+someCats

Re: No waste in January 2018

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Today I will use up the leftover cooked onions in my frige by incorporating them into homemade split pea soup.

The other day I was out of cat food and the stray cats were hungry and cold. I put some boiling water on some dog food to make it soft - and put that out for them once it cooked. They did NOT touch it. Since when can homeless, hungry cats afford to be so fussy???

Anyway, I went out and "rescued" the frozen food and replaced it with regular cat food. I brought the frozen food inside and once it thawed out my dogs were happy to have it - so it wasn't wasted.

That's about it for use-ups other than just generally not letting anything go to waste.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

A couple of more use ups:
Finished yet another small bottle of body lotion. Man I will be glad to get these little dabs and dribs used up and those containers all recycled.
Finished up a jar of jelly - again used the spatula trick- thanks Sheila!
Finished up a container of blackberries.

Failed with 1/2 a container of blue berries that turned mushy before I could use them but all in all happy with how things are going this month.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wow, people have been busy using up and reducing waste. I think my happiest has been collecting things that would have been tossed in the dump and reusing them. 2 free wooden exterior doors, my old one and a second one. My old one is now a planting bench. I know it will also be used in my small construction projects because it is outside under the awning with room to maneuver pieces of wood and metal. The recycled table is sitting on free, saved from the trash, barrels off a floating dock. They are quite durable and the perfect height for my planting table. I also am recycling the 4x4 fence posts headed for the landfill and the ground up neighbor's trees.

On little stuff, I reuse plastic bags to tidy up the kitty messes on the floor. I have become aware of plastic waste and trying to reuse it whenever possible. I just cut open a toothpaste that hubs could no longer get any out of and will have a week's worth of toothpaste. I also take the cheap detergent and put it in a foam dispenser. I have to water down the cheap stuff by 50% to get it to foam. So a big squirt of the foam uses less real soap.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Hi folks-
A couple of use ups today:

The browned ground beef I got out for supper yesterday did not get used. Hubs wanted pizza for the play offs dinner so we ordered out. So when I opened it today, turned out it was pulled pork - oops. So dinner was bbq pulled pork sandwiches, chips and polish dill pickles. So the pulled pork was completely used up and so was the bottle of bbq sauce.

Used up the last of my dishwashing liquid today - managed to get through the dishes needing hand washing by filling it with water and getting the last little bit to make some suds.

Also finished up our soda and now am out of that. Got back to making iced tea. I can kick my soda habit if I make my homemade iced tea. So good.

Used up a box of brownie mix. I got it at Aldi's for 59 cents and it as the Giardelli brand. I always make brownies from scratch but these were really good - super moist and fudgy.

A biggie is we have used the last of our fabric softener stash. I hit a good sale and had like 10 large bottles of it. But it is gone now and we are using dryer balls with really good success. Static cling is ok and nice to not have that expense. They seem to speed up drying time as well.

Tomorrow's plans for use up are cream of broccoli soup. I bought some soup mix from the amish store that seemed really reasonable. A lady there told me it was really good - we will see. I am going to add a package of broccoli to it as I like more than tiny bits in my soup. Will doctor it up if it is bland, which so much pre made food is. But you don't know if you don't try. Hopefully more use ups tomorrow.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Hmmm, my use it ups for the last couple of days are as follows.

Used up a bottle of dish soap (added some water and got a few more washes from the dregs).

Used up a leftover ball of pink yarn (the yarn I used to knit brothers daughter's mitts from) and used up a ball of white yarn. Moved on to using up a couple of orphan balls of light pink worsted (hope to use them up on a couple pairs of socks).

Used up the kitty treats the cat no longer likes by mixing them with those she does (we do get a funny look).

Recycled some no longer darnable socks (meaning I refuse to darn them again) into dust mitts.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I get hubs leftover toothpaste tubes. There is always plenty left. So I went to start one and it was all dried out, so I dug out the paste and used it to shine the stainless steel and copper bottom of my steamer pot. Worked great.