Sandi's 2018 Miserly Minimal Expense Journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Sandi's 2018 Miserly Minimal Expense Journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Wow. Well, at least it died when you were in a safe place. Got count those blessings. I know what you mean about ugly cars and no way I would want to drive something ugly. Good luck with getting it fixed.
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

I don't know how old your car is or the mileage but be careful of it turning into a money pit. I had the same experience with my 2003 Toyota Corolla and it was the starter. I had just replace the battery last month. And from the AAA person shoed me the alternator was ok....but not at peak performance so I figured that would be the next thing to go. Then the fuel pump. Then the a/c and on and on and on. My 2000 Buick was a big money pit but I kept getting things fixed. Then DS rear ended another vehicle and the insurance company totaled the Buick so that was the end of that.

If I knew how to work on cars I would have kept the Corolla. It does not have all the high tech computerized stuff. As technology takes over new cars, appliances, etc. the days of the back yard mechanic are disappearing. Everything is computerized, even my kitchen appliances.

Bev
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Thats weird (that a Corolla would have such issues). I had a 1998 Corolla that was a dream, 'til DH took a left turn and it sacrificed its life to save him. He was fine, car was totaled. Which is okay, I prefer that to the other way around.

Turns out it was the battery. That little lying little self-diagnosing bugger had a cell that had shorted and it was the cause of all the weirdness that was happening right before the whole shebang decided to stop dead in its tracks. They got permission to put a new one in so they could see if that was it or.... and no, that was it. It was the factory battery :o , I've never seen one of those last 10 years, so no bad on their part.

Told them to go ahead and do the 100k... 110k? I think it's 110k, maintenance, change its oil because it needs it and that saves DH time this weekend, he's in grad school and needs his time ;) and we'll pick it up tonight.

Huge inconvenience, but when I said, while in the parking lot where it died yesterday, "lets just buy a battery there's an autozone a mile away," he played it cautious. He's the funniest guy, whenever I want to be cautious he's all gung ho, but when I'm gung ho (if it didn't work we could just take it back) he's Mr. Cautious. But I'd gotten him out of a meeting and he was a little not up for troubleshooting out in 100 degree weather while in business casual, I get that, no bad :lol: I'm just so glad it didnt cost a fortune that I'm willing not to bring that up in conversation with him, LOL.

Needless to say though, August overall has been just an epic frugal fail on my part, even though the car wasn't something I did for fun. The other 8 errands + more will be done tomorrow, so my no-spend days in August is a sad 9 of 31. 29%
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Ooh! I'm going to see if I can psych myself out by reporting September the other way around. Instead of 2 no-spends out of, say, 10 days for 20%, I'm going to report spend days - 8 spends out of 10, 80%!

Maybe I can trick myself into lowering the # between that and the self-inflicted austerity.

Not holding my breath on that, but...
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Guess where the car is?!?

Back at the shop. That thing shakes like... well, at first I thought it was an earthquake, then I thought the idling was waaay off...

Prior to its short-lived demise, it didn't shake like that.

What have they done, I wonder.

You would think they would at minimum drive it out of the service bay, bring it to a stop and REALIZE, put it in park, and REALIZE. I bet some hourly guy did just that, realized, and didn't care. Its hard to find good help anymore.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Sandi sorry to hear your car is still having problems.. Hope they can figure out what is going on and that it will not be too costly. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama