Sandi's 2018 Miserly Minimal Expense Journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2018 Miserly Minimal Expense Journal

Post by SandiSAHM »

Dgflorida wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:26 am Yes, the teacher strike is a problem on several levels. Our educational system has become a babysitting system. People depend on it for that purpose. It is a crisis for many families when teachers go on strike. Japan is beginning to use robots as teaching devices, but maintaining discipline still requires a human. Teachers as we know them may be a dying breed. Interesting times.
The educational system in OK is a disaster. We rank consistently 46-49th in quality of education. Also in teacher pay.

Oklahoma has 502 school districts. Each district has a superintendent. Some of those districts have 2-3 very small schools, as parts of OK are not very populated. There's all kinds of money going toward the educational system, it's just that most of it gets skimmed off the top loooong before it gets to the school or teacher level. I don't know why the teachers don't focus on that. Florida, which is much more densely populated, only has 80-90 school districts (I've forgotten the #). OK's problem isn't money, its the pyramid, and greed.

But yeah, sure, another 5 cents a gallon for gas, I forget the $ of oil & gas GDP, sure, let's throw more of the people's money in the black hole. I'm sure the higher ups will find new ways to skim that, too.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

TODAY... I hope not to spend any $. I say 'hope' because there's a plot developing to put some sod down in a spot off the side of the house that's gotten... well, I don't know where the grass that was there went. I'm presuming it died because the sun doesn't hit there and it wasn't the kind of grass that does well in constant shade. And straight dirt doesn't ring as attractive when it comes to the green space outside a house that's for sale.

MORE optimism - skip this part if faith annoys you - that the Lord's plan is to not sell this house until the next house is ready. Which would mean we could skip that whole apartment thing. Because the builder's hoped-for closing date is mid-June, and for all purposes that's 2 months away. Shortest apartment lease available? Two months. SO... if a buyer will stay at bay (we've had rain, snow, and teacher walkout, showings have been sparse) until May, and then give us 45ish days instead of 30 to close, we could go from one to the other pretty easily.

We did that once, went from closing on the sale of one house in the a.m. to exactly 3 hours later closing on the new house, it was a Friday, and it was one of the longest days of our lives. Fortunately the builder is amenable to early possession so we wouldn't have to do a one-day spin like that again. ALL of our stuff was in a Penske truck and the back of DH's pickup. It was wild.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:12 am
alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:23 pmSandi my former fiance is a teacher in Chicago. A few years back they had a one day strike and my fiance crossed the line and went in to the school. He said he was there for his students. They kicked him out of the teachers union and fined him. Janet Alliesmama
Wow. The union here is really strong which is only odd because it's a right to work state and unions overall? Not a big thing.

I was reading yesterday, the bus drivers and cafeteria workers aren't getting paid. And those, obviously, are not high-paying jobs to begin with so this is a real problem for them. Many are having to rely on food banks.

What a MESS!
It is a mess and there will be trickle down in the local economies since people are not getting paid they cannot go out and shop. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:09 pm TODAY... I hope not to spend any $. I say 'hope' because there's a plot developing to put some sod down in a spot off the side of the house that's gotten... well, I don't know where the grass that was there went. I'm presuming it died because the sun doesn't hit there and it wasn't the kind of grass that does well in constant shade. And straight dirt doesn't ring as attractive when it comes to the green space outside a house that's for sale.

MORE optimism - skip this part if faith annoys you - that the Lord's plan is to not sell this house until the next house is ready. Which would mean we could skip that whole apartment thing. Because the builder's hoped-for closing date is mid-June, and for all purposes that's 2 months away. Shortest apartment lease available? Two months. SO... if a buyer will stay at bay (we've had rain, snow, and teacher walkout, showings have been sparse) until May, and then give us 45ish days instead of 30 to close, we could go from one to the other pretty easily.

We did that once, went from closing on the sale of one house in the a.m. to exactly 3 hours later closing on the new house, it was a Friday, and it was one of the longest days of our lives. Fortunately the builder is amenable to early possession so we wouldn't have to do a one-day spin like that again. ALL of our stuff was in a Penske truck and the back of DH's pickup. It was wild.
Sandi I put my faith and trust in the in The Lord. Before I bought this house I prayed that for whatever reason do not let me buy a house that is not for me. Each time something came up. I bought this house without even going in to it. It was an answer to a prayer..I had seen this house when I drove by but never saw the inside but liked what I saw. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Dgflorida wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:26 am Yes, the teacher strike is a problem on several levels. Our educational system has become a babysitting system. People depend on it for that purpose. It is a crisis for many families when teachers go on strike. Japan is beginning to use robots as teaching devices, but maintaining discipline still requires a human. Teachers as we know them may be a dying breed. Interesting times.
I worked with the Japanese in an automotive OEM joint venture for a while before moving here, met and socialized with several Japanese families. I doubt they have much of a discipline problem in schools there. Being disruptive is frowned upon.

I almost miss those days. The engineering minds in that bldg, LOL, on both sides of the jv. It was fun. Not as much fun as hanging with my DH and kiddos, definitely a different stage of my life.

Mind, that was the early 1990s, I read the culture has changed, but I doubt the kids are allowed to run amok even now.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:25 pmSandi I put my faith and trust in the in The Lord. Before I bought this house I prayed that for whatever reason do not let me buy a house that is not for me. Each time something came up. I bought this house without even going in to it. It was an answer to a prayer..I had seen this house when I drove by but never saw the inside but liked what I saw. Janet Alliesmama
I'm good with whatever He wants. It's just that I want to know what's going to happen, now. I have control freak tendencies. Good in business, bad in the current daily grind.

Ps 27:14, about waiting on the Lord? Just popped into my head.

Wow, I need to find something productive to do.

Have a great day! :)