Carleen's Countdown to 2019...

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Carleen

Re: Carleen's Countdown to 2019...

Post by Carleen »

Howdy and Hello, Everyone!!!

It's a gloomy and damp day here in corn country. Lots of rabbits and squirrels cavorting in our backyard - a sure sign of spring being on its way. We have lots of hawks and falcons in this area so the rodents had better be aware of them!!! Occasionally, we'll see piles of fur in the yard.

Our granddaughter is spending today and tomorrow with us since she is on Easter break and her parents both work. Hubby took her to a matinee this morning for something to do. Tomorrow, we'll go garage saleing which she loves (me, too!!!). I don't need anything, but it's a fun outing. Over the years, I have always given her some quarters or a dollar and she looks for books.

No spending for me today. Hubby paying for the movie but no food purchases at the theater as it's too expensive and not good for anyone anyway. See you all later. Stay safe and watch for low-flying hawks and falcons!!!
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Good grief!!! It's been far too long since I last posted.

A couple of days ago we awoke to a dusting of snow - what a nice thing that was!!! Today it's snowing again - big, fluffy flakes. Forecasters are predicting 2"for our area. I'll put my truck in the garage as we won't get plowing done unless 2" accumulates and vehicles are indoors. We are under a Severe Weather Alert.

Hubby did some on-line ordering for vitamins, supplements, hearing aid batteries, glucometer batteries, etc. Spent a lot but saved even more than in the stores. Free shipping helps a great deal.

We went to a garage sale early this morning but nothing there for us. We always look for books there were none to be had. phooey...

The mourning doves have been "mourning" like crazy out there!!! This morning there was one less, though. A hawk or falcon got one and there were feathers all over the place out there. No more mourning a lost love for that one!!!

Gotta go get busy now. Just checking in since I've been AWOL for too many days. Stay safe.
Last edited by Carleen on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Greetings, Everyone!!!

We have gone from freezing to snow, to temps in the high 60s, to freezing again and now it has been raining hard since early last evening. Lots of standing water and flood warnings for streams, etc. Chilly out there with sub-freezing temps this evening and snow changing to rain tomorrow. Good grief!!! It seems as if everyone around here is complaining...

Yesterday (inspite of the rain) we went to an event at our local library. Several service organizations had displays there in order to get some volunteers. Now that Hubby is retired, we're looking for something to give time to. Animal rescue groups were there but I can't do that - I'd want to take them all home!!! And lots of foster opportunities for children but we can't do that in our adult-only community. But several possibilities for us to ponder. It was a very good event.

I've been having trouble finding someplace to donate paperback books. But I found out that the library will accept them for their "Book Nook" where they sell them for a quarter to raise money for the library. So, over time, we will haul several boxes of books over there. Another YAY for yesterday!!! I'm glad I remembered to ask the ladies about that!

We did some food shopping yesterday, too. A couple of small lists but very specific so it meant a few stops. Got that done and no spending today.

Gotta go now. The Sunday newspaper is waiting for me as is the coffee pot! Stay safe and enjoy the fact that you're up and breathing as that is not always a given!!!
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Greetings back! Yes, retirement opens up many volunteer opportunities. Good luck finding your match.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Hello, Everyone!!!

We awoke to a couple of inches of snow on the ground and the sun was shining like crazy. Absolutely beautiful!!! Temps are too high for the snow to last but that's OK. I'm so glad I got to see it before it melted!!!

No spending yesterday but did have to go out for a few items today. Low cost, though. It pays to watch the ads.

Not much going on around here - just checking in. Exercising has not been much fun lately. I guess I have to work on my attitude about that.

Bye for now. Stay safe. I did see some VERY nasty and hurtful posts about Barbara Bush's passing (not here, thankfully). My older relatives used to tell us kids "don't speak ill of the dead". I guess some people missed that part in their upbringing.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I saw some nasty posts about Mrs. Bush on line as well. Attacking a good woman, who is dead, because she has different views seems popular with the far left. It forces decent liberals to become uncomfortable.